Countsink decking screws?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting some softwood decking down, however it is flat side up and 33mm deep.

Questions are:

1. Any recommendations on the screws to use?
  2. Do you just screw them in, or do you countersink them first?

Sponsored Links
I can't make any specific recommendations on screws but I'd just make sure they are clearly labelled as decking screws then you can't go wrong. The DIY stores have lots of choices specifically marked as 'decking'.

Regarding the countersink prep, I think it will depend on your screws. Some are countersink regular screws and some are countersink with built-in counter-sinking thread - so they countersink themselves. So, if the screws you buy are regular countersink screws you should countersink manually. Having said that, I've brute forced some regular countersink screws and not had any disasters - but for my decking, thus far, I have drilled pilot holes and countersinked/sunk!

The wood is soft and will not need countersunk. The screw will simply pull down and countersink itself.

I much prefer screws with a torx head as you at least have some chance of getting them out in future should you need to as you cant really ring the head of a torx like you do a phillips/pozi.

I really like spax wirox as they are small neat heads and the best decking screw i have found. A bit more expensive than your usually tub of green or brown decking type but worth it for superior look and removability. Again no need to countersink them

Sponsored Links
The wood is soft and will not need countersunk. The screw will simply pull down and countersink itself.

I much prefer screws with a torx head as you at least have some chance of getting them out in future should you need to as you cant really ring the head of a torx like you do a phillips/pozi.

I really like spax wirox as they are small neat heads and the best decking screw i have found. A bit more expensive than your usually tub of green or brown decking type but worth it for superior look and removability. Again no need to countersink them

Cheers. I was looking at the Spax ones so i'll go with those

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back