Couple of Questions on Intergas HSE 24SB and Atag A200S

lets see what atag have to say when we ask the MD/technical directly if reusing old flue components is acceptable with their boiler? Even if it is a ridge tile!

Sponsored Links
Do both mentioned boilers have a twin flue option?

Would this be a two part ridge tile system with one inlet and other outlet?

Have to say I have never seen a ridge tile terminal for a condensing boiler but perhaps they exist.

Tony

Do both mentioned boilers have a twin flue option?

Would this be a two part ridge tile system with one inlet and other outlet?

Have to say I have never seen a ridge tile terminal for a condensing boiler but perhaps they exist.

Tony
The existing ridge tile adaptor is a rectangular box (stainless to be verified) with a single 100mm spigot that at the moment reduces down to 60mm for the Powermax flue. From what I've been told Atag can supply a replacement reducer for their 80mm flue that fits this 100mm spigot. The new arrangement will be a twin pipe setup with the combustion air being drawn from the roof space as it currently does with the Powermax. The Atag rep has put me in touch with their RGI for my area who should be visiting early next week. Hopefully from this we should be able to confirm exactly what needs to be done. I still have the option of a vertical flue but it just seems a shame that if the ridge tile is there not to use it.

I've already discussed with the RGI about whether there is sufficient roof space ventilation and that is one of the things he will check when he comes in to quote.

From what I've read Intergas doesn't offer a flexible flue arrangement but the Atmos boiler does, however it doesn't look like these are readily available anymore, although I do believe these are a slightly older design Intergas without the updated heat exchanger, I stand to be corrected?

Mark

Flue system should be replaced at the same point the appliance it's fed from is exchanged, lots of regs/British standards that say this. (Must last lifetime/be of type approved etx)
That would include the terminal, in your case the ridge vent that isn't designed/tested or approved to go with the new boiler. A sales rep could tell you what he likes, doesn't mean it complies. ;)

Sponsored Links
Flue system should be replaced at the same point the appliance it's fed from is exchanged, lots of regs/British standards that say this. (Must last lifetime/be of type approved etx)
That would include the terminal, in your case the ridge vent that isn't designed/tested or approved to go with the new boiler. A sales rep could tell you what he likes, doesn't mean it complies. ;)
LeeC,
That's fair comment and it will be interesting to see what the RGI recommends next week. From an installers point of view would it be significantly more expensive replacing the ridge tile rather than installing a vertical flue in a pitched tile roof (the vertical flue would penetrate the roof approx. 1m from the gutter) or is this something you would sub-contract out to a roofer?

Mark

Different installers have different ways of dealing with it.

Most if the vertical flue was close to the gutter would probably do it themselves!

The old ridge tile would be left in place.

The costs of less common flue parts like twin pipe can be very high compared with common bits like the horizontal and vertical.

I dont understand your fixation with using the old ridge terminal. I would always go for something simple and cheaper!

Tony

Different installers have different ways of dealing with it.

Most if the vertical flue was close to the gutter would probably do it themselves!

The old ridge tile would be left in place.

The costs of less common flue parts like twin pipe can be very high compared with common bits like the horizontal and vertical.

I dont understand your fixation with using the old ridge terminal. I would always go for something simple and cheaper!

Tony
Thanks Agile,

I didn't realise the grief of re-using the existing ridge tile therefore it just made sense to use it, plus I don't like the idea of leaving a potential source for water ingress during heavy wind/rain. Never having looked at the design of a vented ridge up close, not sure if this is a possibility? Having said that having extra ventilation into the loft space may be no bad thing and could possibly use it for a small heat recovery unit at a later date.

Mark

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back