couple of questions re car battery

I prefer an "old style" battery charger with needle ameter.

You can instantly see how much current the battery is drawing to charge itself back up.

A seemingly good car battery can still take a day or more to charge "properly".

Open circuit voltage of a good SLA battery will be at least 12.5v but I like to see 12.8v really.

I use an Optimate 5 smart charger on my Mitsubishi GTO Twin Turbo, it's designed to be left on the the battery when you're not using the car, checks and maintenance charges it when required. Has a quick connect fly lead that stays on the car.

Sponsored Links
Is it the type of battery where the cell caps can be removed and topped up with DEMIN WATER. Have you?

Nozzle

Is it the type of battery where the cell caps can be removed and topped up with DEMIN WATER. Have you?

Nozzle

The battery is only 2.5yrs old , it will be a maintenance free battery

Can you even get batteries any more for cars that can be topped up?

The battery is only 2.5yrs old , it will be a maintenance free battery

Can you even get batteries any more for cars that can be topped up?

The age of it has nothing to do with whether it's maintenance free, you can still get batteries that can be topped up. Maintenance free batteries are still vented. They're vented to let gasses out, the gasses that come from dissociation of water in the acid. Once those gases are vented the level drops, and you have no other means of topping it up.

Nozzle

Sponsored Links
I know you can get batteries that can be topped up , what I was asking was whether you can still get car batteries that can be topped up.

I have not seen any for years

I will bet you a billion pounds that a 2.5 year old battery will be maintenance free

The age of it has nothing to do with whether it's maintenance free, you can still get batteries that can be topped up. Maintenance free batteries are still vented. They're vented to let gasses out, the gasses that come from dissociation of water in the acid. Once those gases are vented the level drops, and you have no other means of topping it up.

Nozzle

No s**t

'Maintenance free' lead acid batteries have a series of baffles to trap and condense the gases that are produced, returning the liquid to the cells but many types now can be laid on their sides - which I believe have a gel electrolyte but I've never studied them....life's a bit short!
John :)

'Maintenance free' lead acid batteries have a series of baffles to trap and condense the gases that are produced, returning the liquid to the cells but many types now can be laid on their sides - which I believe have a gel electrolyte but I've never studied them....life's a bit short!
John :)

They are AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat). Very common on motorcycles over the last 15 years or more.

You can lay them on there side (you wouldn't believe some of the jobs I've had changing them, MV Augusta are a two hour plus job for a battery!).

I'll offer @sircerebus666 a discount and we'll call it quits at a Yankee Billion.

Nozzle

You do know the bet was that the ops battery is a maintenance free battery ?

And as the op hasn't been back to confirm yet we don't know who has won....

But I'm pretty confident so I'll take my 1,000,000,000 now please (cash)

Sponsored Links
Back