Couple of questions ref part p

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,

Been told by electrician that any existing circuits in a house that are modified need to be part p compliant. Ie no junction boxes at all on any circuits he works on and a rcbo/rcd on all lighting circuits he installs or modifies.

Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
If it's work that is notifiable it comes under part P, which means it has to be notified and certified. Most circuits need rcd protection to be certified these days, but you can still use junction boxes provided they are accessible for maintenance.
http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Technical/DataSheets/Hager/JB_Guide.pdf

Sounds like he may be over egging the pudding a little if he wants to rewire any circuit with a junction box.

He's right that all electrical work needs to be compliant with Part P i.e. "Reasonable provision shall be made in the design and installation ..."

Complying with BS7671 demonstrates compliance with Part P. And that would mean fitting RCD protection to new sockets, not adding inaccessible JBs, not adding buried cables that need RCD protection.

But I agree with sherlock that he is not mandated to bring the rest of the installation up to scratch if it complies with standards in force at the time it was installed, is not dangerous, and the installation is left no less-safe. e.g. leaving insaccessible JBs in situ would not reduce safety.
I don't disagree with the practical intention to bring installations up to the latest standards though.

Sponsored Links
Been told by electrician that any existing circuits in a house that are modified need to be part p compliant.

New work carried out is legally required to comply with Part P of the Building Regs. There's nothing retroactive which requires changes to existing wiring.

no junction boxes at all on any circuits he works on

Absolute nonsense.

and a rcbo/rcd on all lighting circuits he installs or modifies.

The RCD requirement is stipulated by the current version of BS7671, but only for additions; there's no requirement for existing wiring to be so protected (and there are exceptions too, although it's unlikely the conditions for them would be met in the average domestic installation).

But BS7671 is not mandatory, so as far as compliance with Part P is concerned, there's no RCD requirement anyway.

Is this correct?

Like the guy in that link above, it seems that a lot of people are (possibly deliberately?) misinterpreting what is actually required.

Link doesn't work.

There's alot of junction boxes that have been installed when the extension was done 5 years ago, these are/where hidden under floor boards. He said these had to go.

They where used to join the old house wiring to the new CU that's been installed in the new extension mentioned above.

Im just worried about cost for possibly unnecessary work on a tight budget.

Thanks for your replies.

I'd be looking for a different spark.

Curious to know how he knows all these JBs are there. Has he had boards up?

Incidentally the link works for me.

I'd be looking for a different spark.

Curious to know how he knows all these JBs are there. Has he had boards up?

Incidentally the link works for me.

This is the second one, the first one promised to have time for us but let us down.

I've had the floor boards up, so they are easy to see.

I know it's his name on the line but why does he need to touch things that have been installed before and are working fine, if they test ok and look ok...why change them?

He's coming in Wednesday to do some stuff we need done urgently, we will see how it goes.

He doesn't need to touch them at all. Maybe he's misunderstood the regulations, or maybe he's just short of work at the moment. Who knows, but he is wrong whatever the reason.

He doesn't need to touch them at all. Maybe he's misunderstood the regulations, or maybe he's just short of work at the moment. Who knows, but he is wrong whatever the reason.

Well everyone's booked up for 3-4 weeks and he's not as busy.

I shall challange him when the subject comes up.

Another query, do down lights in a kitchen and bathroom need to be rcd protected?

And also if he runs new circuits for upstairs and downstairs lighting, do these need to be rcd protected? As they are currently not.

Does that not tell you something?

Can't you wait for one of the busy electricians to become available?

Another query, do down lights in a kitchen and bathroom need to be rcd protected?

Kitchen no, bathroom yes.

And also if he runs new circuits for upstairs and downstairs lighting, do these need to be rcd protected? As they are currently not.

If the wiring enters the bathroom, or any of it is concealed within a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50mm, and not enclosed in earthed steel conduit etc. then yes they will require RCD protection.

Does that not tell you something?

Can't you wait for one of the busy electricians to become available?

Kitchen no, bathroom yes.

If the wiring enters the bathroom, or any of it is concealed within a wall or partition at a depth of less than 50mm, and not enclosed in earthed steel conduit etc. then yes they will require RCD protection.

Thanks for your replies, but as already been said, we where let down. We are already 4/5 weeks into the project and I've had to result in doing some of the electrics myself, to keep the job moving.

And yes, it is starting to tell me something.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back