Couple of quick questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The builders provided a shed when we bought the house, but its so close to the fence on two sides I cant actually get down there to maintain it, its a gap of about 6 inches - is that something the NHBC would look after?

Also, the small patch of grass at the front of the house is a permanent bog as its angled down towards the house from the drive, I tried to take a picture but its difficult to show - some of the air vents are so low as well, even a few mm of grass growing starts to block them - again, is that wrong?

The builders deny both are wrong, so I just want to check its a plausible case before I bother the NHBC

Sponsored Links
Just sounds like typical developer build issues and little to worry about.
Millions of sheds are built next to a fence, uses a broom to rake out any eaves etc.
Lower the ground level a little if it makes you feel better.

NHBC will not be in the slightest bit interested. Even if they were the excess (which you are liable for) would far outweigh the costs to remedy.

NHBC is really there to keep mortgage companies happy should something really major go wrong that could affect the value and their interest in the property (like subsidence). It is not the all singing warranty for any small items may crop up in the first 10 years that developers would have you believe.

Hmm, ok - thanks for the quick answer. Its not so much leaves - its more needing to paint it at some point to stop the wood rotting away!

I may try them on the front anyway, they did sort me out on the front door issue which some kind people here advised me on - think your right on the shed through, as it isnt part of the house I suspect the NHBC wouldnt care much

I have to say the grass at the front looks pointless - just something to mow which will probably always look scruffy. Thought about getting rid of it and having gravel, for example?

Sponsored Links
Hmm, ok - thanks for the quick answer. Its not so much leaves - its more needing to paint it at some point to stop the wood rotting away!

I may try them on the front anyway, they did sort me out on the front door issue which some kind people here advised me on - think your right on the shed through, as it isnt part of the house I suspect the NHBC wouldnt care much

for varnishing try a roller on a pole?

I have to say the grass at the front looks pointless - just something to mow which will probably always look scruffy. Thought about getting rid of it and having gravel, for example?

Would like to/probably will - but the ground slopes left to right as well as down to the house - its a gradual slope but I'll have to try to maintain it to prevent the air vents on the lowest level being blocked

for varnishing try a roller on a pole?

Thats an idea - cheers

Your neighbour has the same problem.

Do you actually need that fence between the two sheds? Could you come to an agreement with him to remove it so that you both have access to the gap? Yes, that would give each of you access to the other's garden, but so what?

With slotted concrete posts you could probably just slide the panel out. 2 man job, and will have to balance on shed roof, but doable.

Do you actually need that fence between the two sheds? Could you come to an agreement with him to remove it so that you both have access to the gap? Yes, that would give each of you access to the other's garden, but so what?
Just to add, you could put up 2 narrow angled side gates approximately 600mm wide or a removable panel to slide out between 2 sheds

The grass level seems very high when looking at the door step.

Can you see where the DPC is? Is it above or even below the grass/soil level? That little vent could be a trickle vent to drain the cavity and they are usually above the DPC.

I'd be inclined to dig out a 150mm mini trench along the wall and fill it with gravel or chippings. Makes it easier to mow the grass too.

Sadly its the neighbour thats caused the issue - their shed was the other side of their garden and they moved it there - I tried speaking to them at the time to point out the issue but they werent receptive - and its their fence (mine at the back and left hand side of the garden) so I cant touch it without their approval

The grass level seems very high when looking at the door step.

Can you see where the DPC is? Is it above or even below the grass/soil level? That little vent could be a trickle vent to drain the cavity and they are usually above the DPC.

I'd be inclined to dig out a 150mm mini trench along the wall and fill it with gravel or chippings. Makes it easier to mow the grass too.

I cant see the dpc sadly, the builders claim they made the corner higher to make this not an issue - but I have caught them out on a few lies so am sceptical.

Definately going to go down the gravel/chippings route now, its just a bog that is never going to dry out otherwise

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back