coursing stone?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
got to tender for a house that is to be built in coursing stone, never done it so asking what it is, there's not a spec with the tender apart from its 100mm thick!!, got a good idea that its all different sizes and you have to juggle them about so they fit!!!! (could be wrong) any info would be helpfull

Sponsored Links
Assume you mean coursed stone not random as spec say 100mm thick. Any idea if quoins to be used? If its the pre sized variety then it is a dream to work with usually in 4 sizes that can be coursed with block work easily.Have used this alot in my time on the tools and last time did a one off build priced at £50pm2 (a few years ago) .

Sponsored Links
Assume you mean coursed stone not random as spec say 100mm thick. Any idea if quoins to be used? If its the pre sized variety then it is a dream to work with usually in 4 sizes that can be coursed with block work easily.Have used this alot in my time on the tools and last time did a one off build priced at £50pm2 (a few years ago) .

there are no quoins to be priced into the tender and sounds like what i'm pricing for, so you think £50pm2 is about right?, how many metres would you say can be layed in a day?

IIRC, the limiting factor is that the higher you build, the weight of the stone causes the mortar to weep and compact lower down, and the wall wobles. The mortar does not go off for a while, so it can be as little as 1m high per day

So it may depend on the actual stone/reconstituted stone/concrete pretend stone rather than how fast you are

As woody says lots of varying factors . 2+1 should average 10m2 per day but bear in mind loading out on higher lifts is hard graft if handball.You will find if no quoins then a skutch is easiest to form end faces. I see your in Leicestershire hope its not ironstone have done a few in Leics with it and its ****e stuff to work with :LOL:

As woody says lots of varying factors . 2+1 should average 10m2 per day but bear in mind loading out on higher lifts is hard graft if handball.You will find if no quoins then a skutch is easiest to form end faces. I see your in Leicestershire hope its not ironstone have done a few in Leics with it and its s***te stuff to work with :LOL:

the jobs in rutland and i havn't been over there for a while so wouldn't know what kind of stone it is, i know its got to match the existing cottage, someone else told me you can't lay to much at a time but surely youv'e got to price it accordingly to make up for this?

Will more than likely be Stamford lime stone then.If so you can be lucky with some packs with some stones being 2ft long. If its kept dry its fantastic stuff and you can lay lift height in one day no problem with bulging etc but if its wet 4-6 courses max and point up next day.Also worth working your gauge out for cill heights and work it to be a 150mm course for the difference in 1200mm and 1050mm windows heights as it looks crap with what looks like a split under windows if you get it wrong. I would imagine most brickies around this area will be priceing £50m2 for it. If all goes smoothly some serious money can be made at this price (my best ever weekly wage was with stone). :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back