Court of 'Protection'...

Sponsored Links
Every single one of us should sort out Lasting Power of Attorney for our financial affairs and for our health and welfare.

If you don't, and you lose the ability to decide anything for yourself, your nearest and dearest have to apply to this Court of Protection for permission to manage your affairs.

They are a complete nightmare to deal with and introduce barrier upon barrier to getting things done. And it costs a fortune in the process.

This has been the most useful post in the history of DIYNot, and I'm not joking about that. Get lasting power of attorney in place or you could easily make your relatives' lives a bit of a nightmare.

Sponsored Links
My wife and me have only just got around to making wills. I didn't want to tempt fate :rolleyes: but as our financial affairs are starting get a bit messy we thought it about time we made them rather than leave it to our children to sort out after we've snuffed it.

I think we might just get a power of attorney drawn up as well, government gets enough of our money as it is and have more than enough control over us as well.

My elderly retired GP, in his 80s, being diabetic, living alone in a big house in London, collapsed from low blood sugar, then realised before he went into coma, he took some food, and drank energy drink, and soon recovered from his hypoglycemic attack.

A few days later he was speaking to his daugher who often phoned him regularly, to check how he was getting on, she is a psychologist , lives 180 odd miles away in Bristol, when he told her about his experience, she became concerned for his health, and rang social services and arranged for them to attend to his needs, so the next day two social workers knocked on his door, and wanted to make an assessment, but the retired GP told them that he was a Diabetic patient, on insulin and on the day concerned he injected himself with insulin but did not eat much, hence his sugar went low, so he is more than capable of looking after himself, his daughter probably just panicked.

But this had kick started a process, as he refused any help from the social workers, they sent in more visitors to his house the next day, some 6 turned up to assess his mental ability, they gave him a test and asked him various questions, he answered them all right, but was never the less still told that he was not fit enough to live in a big house all by himself, as his wife had died 3 years earlier. And his Children live in other cities.

So the next day a Court Warrant was obtained by the social workers and took him by force to a local mental health institute, where he was sectioned in, locked in , prevented from escaping and they took his mobile phone away, his diaries, and stopped him from making any contact with the outside world, even his daughter did not come to visit him there. Despite his strong protest and his knowledge of medicine, they did not care, kept him in.

In the mean time, his daughter visited his home, as she managed to get his keys from social workers, she saw that he was in a bad debt, he had been probably a victim of one of these lottery scam where you send in some money and they would release a Million pound you had won! (but that is what I think, he denies it, he claims that he bought lots of shares in foreign countries and has millions stuck in foreign banks, and for him to get his money here, he will need some money upfront to release his cash)

So he became a victim, and his daughter decided to terminate his email account, switched bills on her name, closed his bank account, went to Court to seek control of all his assets, and deleted his emails, contacts, took away his dairies, practically took all legal papers he had for properties, investments, and much more!

After being sanctioned under the mental health for 3 months, he had a fall when he came out of a bathroom in the hospital, broke his hips, so he was then taken to another hospital for treatment and from there he was allowed to go back to a smaller flat he owned nearby but was not allowed to go back to his big house. Which is ow deserted and up for a sale, and no doubt she will be able to rent it out or sell it up and get his money.

That is the story of a retired Doctor, my ex GP, right now I am helping him gain back his freedom, he has no credit cards or debit cards, as all his financial affairs have been taken over by her daughter, through a Court order, being a psychologist she managed to persuade the court in his absence, she gives him £30.00 per week allowance for his milk and bread, sold his car, told DVLA that he is no longer fit to drive, so one old man devastated by his own daughter!

I have been trying to restore his email account on Hot mail, but did not succeed as he has forgotten his various passwords, and security questions, even his mobile phone number that was registered where they can send you a new password is not possible now, so he has lost folders and contacts of all he knew!

as I had not heard from him for nearly 6 months, I had thought he must have died, as I did not have any contact for his family but his number at home would ring and I could not leave any message as it was full!

So he managed to find my number and rang me and told me about his ordeal, so now he wants to get his diaries and mobile phone back from his daughter, and control of his bank account, but she is refusing to hand him back his freedom. She is psychologist so essence of the story is beware of your own educated daughter, she knows what is best for you! (lol)

So allowing him access to get back into the same old mess is responsible?
You have put up a few stories of your meddling where you ought not to on here Mike. Worrying.

Mike believes in fairy tales. This is almost certainly another one. People, and especially doctors, don't get taken into the looney bin without good reason. And half the people in there reckon they are the only ones who have their marbles and everybody else is mad. That's one of the reasons they get taken in

I agree, especially when he said that he has 22 million dollars investment in a
an American company that has now been taken over by some Chinese interest, and his shares are now stuck up, so he tells me how he spoke to the American President! Mr Obama! I burst laughing and and he said that Mr Obama will intervene personally in this matter as he would get a tenth of that if he did for his political campaign, this was before the last elections..

So he has the phone number for the White House and he has also spoken to our Prime Minister over these issues, at one time he said he used to be the UN's Health chief and was posted to Africa! hence how he build his fortune he said, but he has absolutely no funds to get his shares released.

When I challenged him that he must have spoken to a fake Mr Obama, he said I know how he sounds on TV and the caller was definitely P. Obama.

he had come over to me before he went in, he asked me if I could lend him a grand because that would release a Million pounds stuck somewhere, then I said yes I would do that, it is a high risk investment for me, so yes if you get a Million, I need 1/2 million of that, take it or leave it I said, he left! :LOL:

I agree, especially when he said that he has 22 million dollars investment in a
an American company that has now been taken over by some Chinese interest, and his shares are now stuck up, so he tells me how he spoke to the American President! Mr Obama! I burst laughing and and he said that Mr Obama will intervene personally in this matter as he would get a tenth of that if he did for his political campaign, this was before the last elections..

So he has the phone number for the White House and he has also spoken to our Prime Minister over these issues, at one time he said he used to be the UN's Health chief and was posted to Africa! hence how he build his fortune he said, but he has absolutely no funds to get his shares released.

When I challenged him that he must have spoken to a fake Mr Obama, he said I know how he sounds on TV and the caller was definitely P. Obama.

he had come over to me before he went in, he asked me if I could lend him a grand because that would release a Million pounds stuck somewhere, then I said yes I would do that, it is a high risk investment for me, so yes if you get a Million, I need 1/2 million of that, take it or leave it I said, he left! :LOL:

It sounds to me as if this person might be suffering from dementia to some degree or other. Dementia comes in many forms. They say that "When you've seen one person with dementia, then you've seen one person with dementia" Sufferers can be extremely plausible because they believe what they are saying. The money thing, and paranoia about money being taken etc is common too. They can do "remembered actions" (like a diabetic administering insulin to themself for instance) but start to lose the logical thought process (so might take insulin and then not have food)

Mistakes do get made, and powers do get over used, but I doubt very much if they'd section anyone who wasn't in need of that sort of care. It's very difficult to get people with any sort of dementia into care unless the need really is acute.

As far as any money is concerned, unless the daughter has power of attorney (POA) then any dealings will have to be, in the first case at least, through the court of protection. There are strict rules governing what can and can't be done with any money in these cases. Even if she has POA, she can't use the money for herself, it has to be for the benefit of the person who's money it is.

My mother in-law died at 85. She lived in a warden controlled flat. On one particular visit, just before she died, she told us that she had put five grand in an envelope and stuffed it under the sofa cushion. She then told us that it was missing and she believed that one of the wardens has stolen it.

Whilst I didn't believe they had stolen it, I decided to tell them about it anyway - which they appreciated.

When she died, we had to clear out her flat and we found the money in a biscuit tin in the cupboard. So the money did exist, but she had mislaid it in her confused state.

My point is that although older people can get a bit confused about things, we should always respect what they tell us and give them the benefit of the doubt where possible.

Not like the Daily Mail to engage in outspoken sensationalism....

This sort of comment makes me laugh.

1. A report from the Daily Mail is quoted.
2. Some bright spark derides it purely because it is in the DM.
3. Someone else draws their attention to the same report appearing elsewhere.
4. The bright spark is suddenly silent.

:LOL:

Sponsored Links
Back