Covering a flat roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
OK, I own a first floor flat with is on the seafront. It gets battered by strong wind and heavy rain. The bay window has a flat roof above it, and it is presently leaking. The intention is to replace the entire roof when the weather gets better...I live in Scotland, what am I hoping for? :)

So, my question is this. What is the best thing to re-roof with? As I say, the building is right on the seafront and takes a battering from the wind and rain. The air is naturally salty, and probably damp a lot of time. If it was being tiled, it would have to be tiled with slate. However, there may be issues with planning / conservation area status / other residents.

At present, it is felted and painted with a reflective paint. However, something has clearly gone awry with it and it's leaking.

Anyone any suggestions?

Duncan

Sponsored Links
A non-ferrous metal roof (lead, copper, zinc etc) would be the best with the longest life.

EPDM will probably last longer than traditional felt.

If you use a liquid product, it will need to be done by approved installers to ensure that any warranty is valid.

Sponsored Links
Lead is the longest lasting roof covering Single ply's stay clear used by people that can't do a proper job. Next best bet zinc, copper, or really decent HIGH PERFORMANCE FELT.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back