Covering green gloss!!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My the doors, surrounds and skirting boards in my hallway are painted in a god awful green gloss (must mention it was the previous owner!). We are looking to return all this woodwork back to good old white gloss but would like some advice on the best way to go about it. I am scared that if we simply start painting over the green, it will either shine through and need lots of coats (one coat will be a big enough job!) or the white could eventually start to peel off and reveal the green underneath. Would you advise getting the wood stripped right back?

Sponsored Links
It would be a better finish if you could strip all the old paint off first. However it's a hell of a job especially if you've got a whole load of skirting to do. And then you'll have to prime the bare wood.
If the original paintwork's o.k. you'll probably get away with using a coat of undercoat and then two coats of finish. But you might need another coat on doors though.
You do need to prepare the surface first with sugar soap and glass paper.
Either way it's quite hard work but well worth it for a good finish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back