Painting over yellowed gloss

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What's the best paint to paint over previously painted white oil gloss paint which has turned yellow?

I've done a few skirting boards with a sand then 2 coats of new white gloss, but I'm wondering if the yellow underneath will eventually show through.

I'm not bothered about what happens in 5 years as I'm not staying in the property that long!

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
probably not

but adequate for indoor work.

All gloss paint eventually turns yellow.

Only oil based gloss if there is a lack of sunlight (read UV light).

I not a fan of waterbased finishes. They are less durable and don't flow as well as their oil based counterparts but they do have other advantages.

Unfortunately, the more stable/reliable finishes often tend to be spray finishes, eg acid cat or cellulose/poly etc. Acid cat, is lovely to apply but really bad for your lungs because of the isocyanates.

Last edited:
no, oil-based gloss paint eventually turns yellow indoors, in the absence of sunlight.

We now have water-based paint.
I have yellowed gloss everywhere. I was going to paint over with mid grey satinwood. Would that change colour too?

I have yellowed gloss everywhere. I was going to paint over with mid grey satinwood. Would that change colour too?

As above, it will change colour but only very, very slightly.

White gloss tends to yellow much, much more than white eggshell or satinwood.

In 2010 the VOC regulations resulted in paint manufacturers having to reduce the solvent levels in oil based paints. The earliest formulations were horrible to work with and yellowed in weeks. They also took ages to cure. I recall my first job on Jan 3rd, 2010- the oil based eggshell was still tacky the next day. From that point onwards I all ways add Terebene (oxidising agent) to speed up curing times. Additionally I add Owatrol and white spirits. It took a couple of years for them to reformulate the paints so that they didn't yellow so quickly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back