Covering the edge of a curved step?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am about to start on a new bathroom project and whilst I think I've got most of it figured out, I've hit upon a snag. I'd like to create a dual level floor by raising the back third of the floor by about 6 inches. On this I will place the toilet and wash basin. This is primarily for aesthetic reasons but will also assist with the new plumbing arrangements.

I was planning on using bamboo tongue 'n groove flooring for both levels with a thin strip of ply for the riser. I will use a bamboo veneer to cover the riser, but I can imagine the top edge where it meets the tread will be far from perfect as it will need to be cut by hand. Now if the step was straight I could presumably use a right-angled strip of metal for example to cover the join and protect it from getting chipped, but the problem I have is that this raised level will have a pronounced curve to it. How can I cover/protect the edge of the step when it curves?

I hope that I've explained this properly and that someone will have some advice.

Thanks

Toby

Sponsored Links
£150 quid for 1.5meters :eek: :eek:

You can get a profile made out of metal, or some skills with a router may be needed to do yourself.

Cough splutter - I just had to go back to check the price (didn't see it 1st time).

Jesus - that's expensive.

Sponsored Links
Perhaps a little out of my price range :LOL:

I'm thinking now that I could use a hardwood dowel and cut a corner out of it so that it sits on the edge of the step. I could always steam heat it and bend it into shape. What do you think?

Toby - once you've got you hardwood profile then steam-bending to get the curve is easy enough to do.

Steam chamber = length of plastic soil pipe (needs to be longer than the workpiece), a couple of end caps for the pipe (one should be a screw-on type - acts as a door to get the timber in/out), steam pipe made from a length of rubber (or plastic) tube, a steam generator (old kettle, not electric). If you want you could add a couple of wall clips to act as stablising feet.

Bending former = made from ply with a curved edge and some clamping blocks glued/screwed on.

Heat the timber in the chamber, gloves on, whip the workpiece out of the chamber and over to the former, clamp up and leave to dry.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back