Covering up hole in kitchen ceiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any tips on covering this hole in kitchen ceiling? There was a 1970s air vent there, goes upstairs, now obsolete of course.

Attachments

• 20221207_081617.jpg
    20221207_081617.jpg
    147.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 20221207_081613.jpg
    20221207_081613.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 40
Sponsored Links
Inside on the right is brick,no space. Opposite that inside is wood which hss about an inch of a ledge. The other 2 opposing sides have plenty of space. I was thinking of using bendy pliable metal which would stretch over hole as I let it unfurl inside hole.

Batten around the edge of the hole and fit a piece if plasterboard flush with the existing ceiling.

I'd get a couple of bits of 150mm celotex, cut them to be a tight fit, ram them both up into the hole, foam any gaps, then Id use some 2x1 drilled and screwed around the hole to fix a piece of plasterboard too

Sponsored Links
That textured coating may contain a trace of asbestos, so take precautions when you come to sand it down to blend in

That textured coating may contain a trace of asbestos, so take precautions when you come to sand it down to blend in
Well yeah it was built pre 1980s. Bit late for that now,there's crumbly white chalky substance all over the place. **** it. You have to go sometime lol

I'd get a couple of bits of 150mm celotex, cut them to be a tight fit, ram them both up into the hole, foam any gaps, then Id use some 2x1 drilled and screwed around the hole to fix a piece of plasterboard too
What do you mean by use 2 x1? Which foam would you use?

What do you mean by use 2 x1? Which foam would you use?

2x1 timber batten.

150mm celotex, you can probably find an offcut locally either on eBay, gumtree or Facebook instead of buying a full sheet or just use loft mineral wool as suggested

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back