Coving on artex

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, just a quick question, is it possible to put coving/cornice on an artex celing?

The celing currently has a smooth "band" around the edge of the room about an inch deep. Would I have to scrape the artex off where the coving is going to go, or would it be okay just stuck on top? Will it look odd with no smooth band around it, and the gaps will need to be filled.

(BTW would like to get it skimmed, but then it would cost too much as every room in the house has it)

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
If you measure the width of the coving when its square to the wall and get a straight edge an inch bigger then put it along the wall and "score a mark thru the artex with a stanley knife, you might be able to get enough artex off to put the coving adhesive along. I would not attempt to cove over the artex as it would not sit well and would be a job to clean the adhesive off. The reason for it being an inch bigger is so you can clean the coving after fitting and you still have that "flat band". This will not be an easy job and will take a bit of time and care, and make sure you get yourself a decent mask. Good Luck ;)

It wouldn't look odd at all. Artex is not everybody's cup of tea and neither is coving, but I have both in my house, although the artex is my least favourite. If you want to put coving around a ceiling that has artex on, knock off any high spots, mark around the ceiling/wall where the coving will sit, make sure you provide a key for the cove adhesive to grip onto, and then measure and fix the coving. The excess adhesive that comes out of the sides as you fix the coving, will allow you to fill any gaps along each length as you go. Just make sure you clean the adhesive off of the surface of the coving as you go. The smooth band you refer to is only where a one inch paint brush was used to clean around the edge of the ceiling.

Roughcaster.

use a 1/3 sheet sander with a course paper this will smooth it out to the same width as a standard cove or a half sheet one if you want a gap
one with a hover attachment is handy, dust masks needed,
stick your cove up using artex it will give you a longer working time and is much easier to clean off the excess.

Sponsored Links
Both coving and Artex are out. Yuk. Get rid of both.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back