Cowboy radiator install - how to cowboy it :-)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to install an old radiator of mine into my under-stair cupboard so that I can use the heat to dry my wet motorcycle gear. There are already Polypipe radiator feed and return pipes in the cupboard which I was planning on hooking into. The trouble is I cant really be faffed to drain and fill the system as I have way more important things to get on with and this radiator will be completely obscured from view.

So, how wrong would it be position and fit the radiator; use copper to the valves; and then when connecting it just simply turn the boiler off at the mains; turn the radiators off; and then in 2 clean actions snip the polypipe and connect it back again using a T push fit connection which would be ready connected to the radiator.

I was thinking that with a few towels there might be a minimum of mess? Has anyone tried this? Is hard using push fit connections on a filled system?

Thanks for your thoughts,

Jon

PS - I realise i am opening myself to abuse with this post, however I just want to see if this is a half way valid shortcut or an insane idea!

Sponsored Links
If I read that right, you'll cut the pipe and attempt to get the push fit on whilst the water flows out?

Sounds like you'll be draining the system onto the floor to me. The pressure on my radiators when opening a valve up was like having the tap on full blast.

If I read that right, you'll cut the pipe and attempt to get the push fit on whilst the water flows out?

Sounds like you'll be draining the system onto the floor to me. The pressure on my radiators when opening a valve up was like having the tap on full blast.
good insight. so maybe I will just drain the pressure then cut the pipe?

Worst case, turn the radiators off, drain some of the system and then do it. At least I wont lose too much inhibitor and filling the system will take 1/4 of the time.

Sponsored Links
Yes, please video this and put it on youtube.

I really hope you don't do this sort of work on your bike too :)

You'll save no time because you'll have litres mucky of water to clear up.

Is this cupboard ventilated anyway? I expect you going to end up with a mouldy damp cupboard and cracked leathers if not.

Is it a sealed system? Drop pressure rubble sack under pipe, cut and snatch easy! Open vented bung it. Although i think the post is a wind up

Remember you need to fit inserts in to the plastic pipe, if you just jam it into a fitting with no inserts then the fitting is liable to pop off the pipe at a completely unexpected moment in the future flooding the place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back