How to Install new Radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In about 4 weeks time we will be preparing to replace some of our old radiators and install some new one’s into the exiting place.

Additional 2 extra radiators will be fitted into a new location i.e. in the Kitchen and upstairs hallway.

We have a comi boiler 24kw – sealed system?

Correct me if I’m wrong, but technically speaking we have to re-rout the pipe work? Create addition 2 connection from the system pipe to the radiators for the new radiators?
Re-create the pipe work of the old radiators because the new radiators will be slightly bigger than the old ones.
Drain the entire system etc……..

I would appreciate if you can guide me through how I can achieve this in the simplest way.

My aim is I want to do this by myself so that I can build my knowledgebase if thats possible or is this too technical that I should call a Heating Engineer for this work?

Many Thanks

Sponsored Links
you need to spend all evening, every evening for months reading everything you can about plumbing and heating. Then when you know all about it you can make the mistakes most professionals have made sometime or other.

You really can't get a hand-holding service to install by numbers from a forum, it's just not realistic. Wickes plumbing leaflets might help though.

I have a friend who thinks he can do this for me. However, what would be the safety precaution we should take.

This friend has done this work before but his not Cogi Registered

Appreciate you thoughts.

If you have to touch the gas, just DON'T!!!!!!!

Any other safety precautions:

Turn off the mains electricity,
turn off the mains water,
turn off anything else you can think of,
don't climb ladders
Don't use tools with cutting edges,
Wear protective gloves
Wear protective glasses
Wear hard hat
Wear reflective clothing
Keep work area tidy
Don't do anything you have not been trained to do

How much more do you want?
I suggest you get someone else to do all of the work, since any operation carries a risk (which is why we do RISK ASSESSMENTS). If some work has to be done, and it still carries a significant risk when you have done all you can to reduce the risks, then EDUCATION is the last resort. This takes time, and an assessment by the trainer that the person being trained understands enough to work safely.

People who contribute here can possibly to the first part, but they aren't in a position to assess whether you are ok to work unsupervised.

Exactly WHAT sort of work has your unregistered friend done before?

Sponsored Links
Thanks Oilman,

My mate as installed Boiler's and has repaired them.

So I'm quite confidant that there should be no problem installing just 2 extra RAD.

He say to me its very simple to do my project?

If your mate has installed boilers recently or has repaired the gas side of boilers recently, and gained income from it, then it sounds like he could be working on the wrong side of the law.

Doing the water side is no problem (by comparison)

Understandable, but radiators should be OK though?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back