CP53 PUMP ON A POTTERTON COMBI 80

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
FIRSTLY JUST TO SAY, FIRST TIME ON THIS FORUM AND WHAT A GREAT PLACE. I SHALL BE VISITING OFTEN.

IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN CP53, CP51, CP63 PUMPS THE HEAD HEIGHT OR DO THE NUMBERS MEAN SOMETHING ELSE.

I THINK I MAY HAVE THE WRONG PUMP AS THE RADS ON THE FIRST FLOOR ARE ONLY LUKE WARM, DOWNSTAIRS THEY ARE HOT. HOWEVER IT TAKES ABOUT AN HOUR TO GET THIS FAR.7 RADS IN ALL. RADS ARE FREE FROM SLUDGE. MAYBE THE PUMP IS ON THE WAY OUT.

I HAVE JUST REPLACED THE HEAT EXCHANGER AND THE BOILER IS RUNNING INTERMITTENTLY, IT LIGHTS STRAIGHT AWAY AND THEN SWITCHES OFF AFTER A FEW MINUTES AND THIS GOES ON AS LONG AS THE BOILER IS SWITHCED ON, I DO NOT GET A LOCK OUT. HOT WATER IS AS IT SHOULD BE. FIRES UP STRAIGHT AWAY. :confused:
OR COULD ONE OF THE SENSORS BE FAULTY, PLEASE HELP

MANY THANKS IN ADVANCE.

Sponsored Links
No need to SHOUT!! :)

Yep, a 53 is a 5m head etc

You may need to balance the rads, check FAQs, and that could sort the cool ones.

The CH thermistor could be faulty and or the diverter valve could be playing up regarding the cycling problem.

Thank you so much for that Breesey

Did you think I was shouting because I wrote in capitals, sorry I am new to all this internet lark, I am normally a soft spoken person.

Rads are bleed and balanced, and am quite happy with that.

I will check the switch and the diverter.

Thanks again

regards

Peter

Hello Breesey

Just another a little favour please, could I fit a CP61 or 63 in place of the 53 to give me a little more height as I do have a tall house. Are the set screw holes at the same pitch

Thanks again

regards

Peter

Sponsored Links
You could do that, the pumps are the same size physically. A CP61 has only one speed setting btw so you'd be better off with a 63.

What do you mean by set screw?

You should replace the pump with the one the manufacturer specifies.

Thanks Breesey,

I think I have fixed the problem, I never thought to BALANCE the raditors, it seems to be working great now, in fact when my daughter got back from university she said it was now too hot in her room, hers his the furthest away.
From my apprentice days (a long time ago) I think Set Screws are only threaded partly, It is a little confusing as BOLTS are also partly threaded but becomes a bolt after a certain size(larger than I think about 1/2")
SCREWS (obviously with a machine thread and not a wood thread) are threaded all the way up the shank.

And I was refering to the screws that hold the motor body, rather than taking off the pump from the water pipes I thought it may be easier to remove just the body from with the the 2(4) screws.

I think I may fit a CP63 anyway, and I was given the name of MYSON, is this a good make or please let me know what you would recommend in your professional opnion.

Once again many thanks

Peter

You should fit a 6 metre head pump as that's what the manufacturer did originally!
61 means 6m, 1 speed, etc
63 means 6m, 3 speed - same as single speed on highest speed.

Pump heads from different manufacturers are not interchangeable.

From my apprentice days (a long time ago) I think Set Screws are only threaded partly, It is a little confusing as BOLTS are also partly threaded but becomes a bolt after a certain size(larger than I think about 1/2")
SCREWS (obviously with a machine thread and not a wood thread) are threaded all the way up the shank.

And I was refering to the screws that hold the motor body, rather than taking off the pump from the water pipes I thought it may be easier to remove just the body from with the the 2(4) screws.

I think I may fit a CP63 anyway, and I was given the name of MYSON, is this a good make or please let me know what you would recommend in your professional opnion.

Once again many thanks

Peter

I was just wondering what you were refering to in this context. A set screw, to me, is usually one that 'sets' something in a specific position after adjustment. I would call a bolt a bolt what ever size it was! :)
In this case I would call the items that fix the head to the body, head attachment bolts, but no matter each to his own! ;) :LOL:

As the others pointed out the pump to use is the pump specified by the manufacturer. In youir case I believe it is a Myson and probably a 6m single speed so therefore you need a CP61 but check your literature or contact the manufacturer.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back