Crabapple Tree Problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have noticed that the crabapple leaves are dropping - brown and crispy and quite small. There are some larger leaves towards the top of the tree and end the ends on the branches but it generally looks quite unwell.

Has this been seen anywhere else this year? I don't think it is any of the diseases I have found mentioned on the internet. The garden has been quite dry recently so wonder if it is just a lack of water. It blossomed quite well earlier in the year

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you have any photos ?

I've had my allotment apple trees fail to produce fruit in the past.

On one occasion due to terribly bad pruning on my part.

And on another occasion extremely poor pollination. Developing buds will drop off if not pollinated...

Crispy brown leaves sound concerning ..

Could it be heat stress?, lack of water.
Seen quite a few tree dropping leaves due to the hot weather lately.

15062023199.jpg

I am hoping just heat stress as it blossomed really well in spring. It could be fungal but not sure

Attachments

• 15062023200.jpg
    15062023200.jpg
    631.6 KB · Views: 37
  • 15062023201.jpg
    15062023201.jpg
    513.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 15062023202.jpg
    15062023202.jpg
    701.8 KB · Views: 38
Sponsored Links
It does look like heat stress. I'm actually having something similar with a honeysuckle plant which was doing fantastically well up until the hot weather started. It now looks extremely unhappy with brown curly leaves and a lot of the flowers are failing. So yes, likely heat. Not sure what can be done about that.

As the climate warms it's going to be a concern for a lot of fruit growers in this country. The only alternative is to replant with heat tolerant varieties or find a way to mitigate the heat by planting more trees or planting shrubs that produce a lot of vegetative growth and shade.

I fear the days of neatly pruned ornamental beds is now over as I have noticed many plants burn up during the summer time and don't survive. I've actually stopped growing a lot of annual vegetables for this reason. You just can't keep them alive.

Mrs lost and myself were walking through the side streets on the outskirts of Cardiff yesterday and the ground was littered with a carpet of dead leaves that had fallen from the ornamental crab apple trees.

You could consider cropping the tree, removing some branches to help maintain a healthy growth.

You could consider cropping the tree, removing some branches to help maintain a healthy growth.
Personally I wouldn't cut the tree ,dropping the leaves are a sign trees are struggling for moisture so cutting branches could to add to moisture loss ,there may not be enough to support new growth resulting in dying back further.
I would just give the tree plenty to drink

Thanks for the thoughts. I am hoping heat stress is the cause. The flowering cheery we have is fine but that looked a little sick last year whilst the crabapple was fine! I doubt the recent rain will help much but hope to have a healthy looking tree next year

Not particularly - I have not seen any aphids.

Is there a specific problem with ants and aphids on a crabapple?
There have generally been huge numbers of aphids this year, on all kinds of plants, including apple trees, and very few ladybird larvae.

I have an alder tree suffering from an infestation of iridescent beetles, thankfully it is now developing a collection of ladybird larvae on it too.

Ditto the last two posts - I thought it was just me!
I have been bursting alder beetles on a hazel daily for a week.

I have had 1000's of iridescent beetle larvae in the last few days! All now squashed...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back