Crack around boarded up doorway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
In one of our bedrooms a doorway has been boarded over, it used to be the entry to an en suite but this was changed to allow a larger family bathroom to be created.
They have botched it slightly as the door casing is still in place and a crack is present in the shape of the door casing. I know this as i have to replace the skirting and it was clear when removed.
Im guessing they filled the doorway in with plasterboard and then skimmed over it and the wooden casing, this is where the crack is.
Would it be better to get the whole or part of the wall re boarded and skimmed or would i stand a chance of filling the crack if i cleaned it back to the casing, key it up well and applied a quality filler?
I could maybe knock in some nails too to give the filler something to bite to.
Any tips would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
I'd like to say you could try some scrim tape over the joins, then fill, but I really think it will crack again.

It never works trying to plaster over a the edge of a door lining.

I suppose you could try chiselling some of the lining down to get a good covering of plaster over. You'd need some sort of mesh over the wood to get a good key for the plaster. Or fit new plasterboard to cover the gaps. Use scrim tape again.
Less chance of cracking, not guaranteed though.

Would you mind it looking like a door again?
You could fit three pieces of architrave over the door lining, to make it look like a door way.
It may look rubbish, but to me would be better than a persistent crack.

I may try chipping the plaster out that is cracking and attached to the lining and roughing up well as you suggest.
I will buy the best quality filler i can and hope for the best.

Chiselling the lining out sounds a good idea. maybe buy a new wood chisel of a suitable width and gyproc easifill to finish - sands real easy.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, i think if i chisel some out and leave some rough edges for the filler to adhere to it may help.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back