Crack in wall - how serious is this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. Foolishly I've started to decorate, and when I stripped a wall I found this crack floor-to-ceiling in a corner (see pics).
This is the outside corner of the house - construction is block behind the plaster then brick, then fresh air, i.e. there's no other room or building outside either of these two walls. It's on the first/top floor and the crack doesn't show on the outside wall.

Can anyone tell me if, as it's not showing on the outside wall, it's serious and I need to get someone in to examine it? Also what skills am I looking for if I do - I can see a lot of ads for builders but presumably I want someone who would know specifically about structures & weighing up & fixing this kind of thing so is there anything in particular I should look for in adverts? Thanks for any help!:)
20180220_162132.jpg
20180220_162144.jpg
20180220_162157.jpg
20180220_162132.jpg 20180220_162144.jpg 20180220_162157.jpg

Sponsored Links
I get this in my house. Due to upstairs walls sitting on floorboards which means they move around.

Has been happening for decades in my house so I wouldn’t worry. Just use good filler and accept it may happen again in a few years.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back