Cracked clay soil pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

I started removing my old kitchen, ready for the new one. Behind some very old units is my plastic soil stack from upstairs. I noticed that at ground level the there was a lot of damp and looked like the concrete had broken down. Looking closer I can see a small crack in the clay section just under where the plastic soil stack fits into it. Hopefully my pictures will help explain better.

The crack is at floor level, although I have dug around a bit to see the extend of the crack - it's only an inch long.

Is this an easy repair? What's involved?

Cheers in advance,

Tom

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 1,313
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    291.3 KB · Views: 485
Sponsored Links
It's an easy enough repair & is well within the scope of DIY,.
First you will have to cut the plastic soil pipe about 1m ish up & wiggle it out of the clay socket, don't worry if the socket falls apart as the new seal will be inside the pipe below it.
Then you will need to fit a 110mm x 100mm adaptor (Wickes 158824 as an example), refit the 110mm soil pipe you cut out & reconnect it to the original pipe with a Flexseal connector (Wickes 137218)

Thanks for the reply!
I had visions of having to dig down to replace the clay pipe.

Stupid question though, but what supports the plastic stack when I cut a section out? Will it drop?

Hopefully it will have pipe clips holding it in place but if it hasn't the toilet connection will hold it in place, just to be on the safe side wedge a bit of wood under the pipe so it doesn't drop.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back