Cracked porcelain/ceramic

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone recommend a good product for repairing a cracked cistern? I assume you wouldn't use normal bathroom sealant on such a thing.

Thanks,
JB

Sponsored Links
I have never heard of anyone successfully repairing one on a long term basis.

As a temporary repair pending replacement, I have used standard bath silicone sealant on the inside but it has to be completely dry and warmed up with a hair dryer to get embedded water out.

Tony

Sponsored Links
You'd be crazy to repair a ceramic cistern and leave the house unattended. :rolleyes:

If the crack is below (or near) the waterline don't repair - take heed of Softus's dire warning. If it's the lid then Araldite is the boy - if done properly it'll last for years.

Thanks for all the advice. It appears to be just a minor crack (very slow drip round the back, which doesn't seem to come from any of the inlet/outlet seals). I'm hoping a bit of Araldite followed by some sealant should see it through to the next bathroom refit.

At least you can't ever say that you weren't warned. :rolleyes:

If you must repair it, than use a two part putty resin like Milliput. It works in wet conditions and as it is a putty rather than a gloopy resin like Araldite, you can mould and press it into postion until it dries - usually 1 hour.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back