Cracked soil pipe drain

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just discovered we have a crack in our soil pipe just under the ground where the soil pipe enters the sewer system and water is pouring out into the ground causing rising damp on the wall next to it. I have attached a picture, do I call Yorkshire water to repair or do I need a drain repair company to fix it?

Attachments

• PXL_20240510_210250299.jpg
    PXL_20240510_210250299.jpg
    569.2 KB · Views: 48
Sponsored Links
That crack alone, doesn't suggest there would be that much leakage, but if that is all of it, and if it were it me...

I would fit a steel strap around it, with a nut an bolt to pull it tightly together, then add a decent amount of cement over the top.

Unfortunately there is a crack that runs down the pipe directly underneath the large crack and it won't let me post a video but it's a lot of water that is coming out.

Sponsored Links
I've botched it a bit pending it being fixed properly and has substantially slowed down the water. Would you just get the cracked bend piece replaced with plastic pipe where is meets the lateral clay pipe or would you replace the entire pipework leading to the boundary about 1.5metres away all with plastic to avoid any further issues?

Attachments

• PXL_20240511_071129967.jpg
    PXL_20240511_071129967.jpg
    511.1 KB · Views: 37
Personally I'd replace the lot depending on how deep it's buried but I'd be doing it diy, if your paying someone it'll come down to how the quotes look and what you can afford

The adhesive sealant has stopped all water coming out for now. Could I just fill the hole around the pipe with quick setting concrete to hold everything in place rather than replacing or am I asking for trouble further down the line?

The adhesive sealant has stopped all water coming out for now. Could I just fill the hole around the pipe with quick setting concrete to hold everything in place rather than replacing or am I asking for trouble further down the line?

How lucky do you feel?

How much more/extra work is involved, if it does give trouble down the line?

Well now the sealant has stopped the leak... Pretty lucky right now haha. I guess it would just be someone having to smash the concrete out to gain access to the pipe to then replace it if it did leak as wouldn't put tons of concrete in.

If you encased it in concrete how would you know if it started leaking again until it appears as a damp problem at which point you've more issues than you have now.

The weather's good I'd be getting going digging it out, not take long aslong as it's not silly deep the it's sorted.

If you encased it in concrete how would you know if it started leaking again until it appears as a damp problem at which point you've more issues than you have now.

The weather's good I'd be getting going digging it out, not take long aslong as it's not silly deep the it's sorted.
As in to replace the piece?

OP,
Replace the rest bend and drain out to the manhole(?) connection - ie replace all the salt glaze pipework. with plastic.
Has the bend completely detached from the pipe?
You can sit the rest bend on a pad of concrete but dont cover the drainage with concrete of any kind.

Why not step back and photo a larger context - Why? because the cracking might have been caused by, out of the photo, eccentric pressure pushing the plastic to salt glaze socket connection forward.
IOW's, perhaps the previous installation was a forced one?

Last edited:
Dig it out, remove the broken parts, replace with plastic.

Yours is a very common problem.

When they get done, it is usual to find that numerous futile attempts have been made to bodge it up, as you are thinking of.

So I dug under the pipe this evening to check and huge cracks under the pipe and the concrete where the bend meets the clay lateral sewer pipe has pretty much completely come away so vast amounts of water coming out from under the pipe and there is a pretty big cavity directly underneath the pipe so lucky I've found the issue as can't be good for foundations.

Going to get the bend replaced this week but some companies saying just replace the bend and other companies staying completely change the pipe up to the boundary, picture attached. Thoughts on replace whole lot of just the bend? The lateral sewer pipe looks to be clay.

Also, where the downpipe meets the clay bend is at a wonky angle so I imagine this is what has put pressure on the bend and cracked it wide open!

Attachments

• PXL_20240512_152844323.jpg
    PXL_20240512_152844323.jpg
    675.5 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20240512_154537195.jpg
    PXL_20240512_154537195.jpg
    610.4 KB · Views: 38
  • PXL_20240512_125454890.jpg
    PXL_20240512_125454890.jpg
    536.9 KB · Views: 39
  • PXL_20240511_094129079~2.jpg
    PXL_20240511_094129079~2.jpg
    623.7 KB · Views: 36
I'd have it all out and replaced in plastic, only issue is where you'd put the soil whilst digging the old pipework out.

If it won't all go in front of the window I'd wait until the road was quiet and lay a tarp directly outside your gate on the road and pile it there, there's no need for it to be there for much more than a day.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back