Cracking in render 'in-goes'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I am new to the forum so any help advice is much appreciated. I have recently had my new build house rendered (dry-dash finish).

The dry-dash render appears to have cured OK but i have noticed that there are several hairline crack in the 'in-goes' around some of the windows and in particular around the garage door. It would appear that the cracks around the garage door are in line with the blockwork joints underneath. When tapped with a small stone the render sounds hollow and I am concerned this will cause problems down the line if I do not take action to remedy the problem now.

Does anyone have advice on this topic, should I just leave the cracks or should I speak to the builder and have the 'in-goes, re-done. The render has only been curing for about 10-14 days.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
If it sounds hollow it has blown! it will need redone, time to get the builder back in.

Bet they done the ingoes without a scratch coat :rolleyes:

Thanks for the reply, you are right there was no scratch coat on the ingoes due to the lack of space between the blockwork and the frames.

If i get the garage door surround redone then should I get them to put a scratch coat on first?

Thanks

it should have a scratch mate, also thier called reveals, how long was the blocks or bricks left before they were renderd and are they new or old

Sponsored Links
The block work is pretty new but was built for about 6 weeks before it was scratched and rendered. My builder said he dampened the block work first and also used some PVA before plastering the reveals. The weather has been pretty warm (and windy) and the garage is on the front facade which gets a lot of sun exposure through the day. Is it most likely that the cracking is simply because the render has dried too quickly or is there a chance of something more sinister?

I should also mention that the reveals were plastered up to a uPVC board that surrounds the frame of the timber frame. The door is a sectional door so sits inside the frame. Would it have been advisable to use stop beads here with a silicone / mastic bead finish between the render / uPVC to allow for movement?

Thanks.

you can put beads down the back to allow for movement that will proberly work to your advantage, i dnt think its something your builder would have thought of as its not common practice so he cnt really be blamed for that in my book (but thats just me) pva should not be used outside as its soluable and will livenn up again with water.
there should have been a scratch coat on everything before topping, but it sounds like it has dried out to quick, render needs to cure rather than dry out this allows for a nice strong bond between coats and substrate and if its dried out too quick the bond is ruined and it will blow very quickly, this could have been handeled by a wet hessian sheet hanging over the wall once it was finished to keep the wall moist or a light misting over with a hose but this is very time consumeing as it will have to be done all day everytime it dries.
soloution take off plave bead down back scratch then top and dash but the chances are that you will be able to see the patches.
also in this weather make sure if its taken off and left for a while before its re-instated that you have a good bit of water on the blocks first as the exposed area could go "boast" if left for too long

Thanks for the suggestion. My builder is going to have a look tomorrow and we will most likely have to do some kind of repair. I will keep the forum updated with progress. Any other suggestions in the mean time are greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

in goes........surley a go in would make more sense??

:LOL: :LOL: probably.

Loads of variations in our linguistic descriptions.

ie Noggins, interprits to Dwangs in Escotia....or to the uninitiated lumps of wood for the bracing of studs :mrgreen:

this could get very confuseing then at some point when someone uses the word dwang and i havent got a clue wat it is, ill have to send you a pm alastar to translate any messages i dnt know haha

this could get very confuseing then at some point when someone uses the word dwang and i havent got a clue wat it is, ill have to send you a pm alastar to translate any messages i dnt know haha

:LOL: Or to our friend Roughcaster the naturalised kiltie :LOL: :LOL:

Sorry about the highjack op :oops:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back