Cracking under bay window

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

FTB buying a 1970s dormer bungalow.

Just had a RICS building survey done which has flagged a number of issues, including some cracking under several windows.

I am looking at getting a few local builders to have a look and provide quotes. Also trying to get a quote for a structural engineer to take a look.

In the meantime, I would be grateful if someone has some advice or words of wisdom! Any thoughts/comments would be really appreciated...

Me and my other half love the house, so don't want to walk away unless it's something serious that we should avoid.

Thank you all!

Picture from survey:

upload_2019-6-23_20-4-27.png

Text from survey:

"
There is evidence of some structural movement having taken place, particularly around
window openings and most notably to the front elevation beneath both front facing ground
floor windows, where cracking has occurred and repointing has taken place. To a lesser
extent, there is cracking to mortar joints to the gable and rear elevations, particularly
around window openings.

It is considered that all such movement is likely to have occurred as a result of the
replacement window and door frames that were installed around 25 years ago. All such
windows and doors do not appear to have adequate supporting lintels above and this is
likely to have resulted in the minor movement to masonry around all such window
openings.

Given the age and specification of the window frames, we would recommend that these are
now replaced and all replacement windows should incorporate supporting lintels above in
order to avoid ongoing issues associated with movement of brickwork.
All such cracking and evidence of structural movement does however appear to be of an
historic nature rather than being ongoing.
"

Sponsored Links
I'm no expert, but...

Why would there be movement below the windows, if the windows need lintels above? If the original windows gave more support to the structure above, surely that load would be taken by the wall below?

To my eyes, it looks as if the foundation were not adequate under that wall, probably to the right and side of the window..

What a stupid survey/er

How the hell can windows or lintels cause cracking beneath windows. I would seriously make a complaint to the senior partner of that firm. That's either negligent or a cut and paste from the last survey

If there is no cracking internally then it's not foundation movement.

Cracking under windows (several windows) would most likely relate to thermal expansion of the wall - those reconstituted concrete bricks are prone to it. And as such not an issue and easily repaired (crack stitching and repointed).

Thanks for the replies. I'm naive when it comes to this topic, so your opinions are appreciated!

The current owners have had a local builder take a look - he said that the movement is historical and cannot see any current movement.
He recommended to "stitch the cracks" using heli coil masonry stitching bars at a price of £250.

Still not sure if this is something we genuinely need to worry about OR if we should be more worried and looking at getting in a structural engineer.

I'm currently trying to get another local builder to take a look. The cheapest quotes we are getting for a structural engineer to take a look at this issue (and a few others raised by the survey) is £600! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Those cracks have possibly been there for 20 years and would prob stay like that for donkeys years.

The thing is builders will look at the crack and say point it up or crack stitch it. But structural engineers will look at the cause of the crack before deciding on a repair.

If you tell the engineer you just want a specific opinion, not a full survey or a full report - just a paragraph on the cause and action required, then it should be cheaper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back