Cracks between plasterboard and wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I hope this makes sense and my pic attaches. Just bought a 1930s semi that has been newly renovated but had been on the market for a year. Since moving in two weeks ago we have had the heating on a fair bit. I think this has caused some cracking between the alcoves walls beside our fireplace and the adjoining solid walls. The alcoves sound hollow so I'm guessing they are plasterboard. I've tried to attach a pic.

The crack is less than 1 mm wide but not quite hairline. They run the length of the wall right in the right angle of the moon between the alcove and the solid wall. Any idea how to fix them or does the whole thing need replastering? Thanks, Emmy

Sponsored Links
youve probly got dot and dab boarding.maybe the corner wasn't taped or maybe its just a bit of thermal/heat expansion? taping board to solid wall req's a bit of extra time a bit of skill and some rag scrim tape.
why not just use very thin line ofa decorators sealant to fill the crack.paint over it and wait an see for 12 months. if its still doingit then rag scrim the inside corner join.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back