Cracks here there and everywhere :-\

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, i'm after a bit of advise to ease my mind.... I live in a 1960ish ex council end terrence house, its not a traditional brick build as such its part concrete but not the ones with metal\steel in, if that makes sense? My problem is there are cracks appearing everywhere. Mainly in the ceilings along where the seams\joins are and the corners. There are also cracks in the plaster in the conservatory and porch (built about 7years ago). There's a few outside too.

I rang my insurance for advise they said it didn't sound like subsidence or anything to worry about to and to get a builder to look over it as if they thought it anything to worry about they would send someone out to look. I got a builder who I think I can trust he said its nothing to worry about just "decorating cracks" and there was definitely no obvious signs of subsidence. Just to treat\fill them when I next decorate.

But as the owner and "responsible adult" of the house I still feel unsettled about it. If there is subsidence or movement I'd rather face it now before it gets serious.

Lots of pics to follow.

Thanks in advance :)

Sponsored Links
Speak with a counsellor rather than a builder or surveyor. :LOL:

('Woody' lives in your neck of the woods - he's one of the resident surveyors on here and he does site visits and gives advice for £1.75 an hour).

Cheeky northerner

Anyway, down to business. All those cracks say normal shrinkage to me. They are straight and follow plasterboard edges. Very common in your type of system built house.

This wont be the full hourly rate, but you can paypal me for my 2p worth. No blow it, its a freebie.

Tony... Counsellor... :LOL: I agree completely I do seem to be cracking up slightly.... :p

Woody so as the builder I spoke to said it'd be just a case of just repair when I get round to decorating then or wait a bit a see if I 'crack up' anymore? :)

Sponsored Links
The gully surround is more than 40 years of ground movement, the one by the window is the concrete beam joint which wants some mastic, and the brick cracks are nothing worth typing about.

BTW, a counsellor wont have anything to do with an ex-council house. Nor will the council. It's yours now, get the filler out.

Ok so I can stopping worrying now then? :)

As for filling my own 'cracks'... :LOL: Well with the gutter like mind I have i shall not comment in case I need anymore advice off the forum.... :oops:

The brickwork and ceilings are par for the 60's = just like my latest mansion ;) Not the building industry's finest decade

The brickwork and ceilings are par for the 60's = just like my latest mansion ;) Not the building industry's finest decade

Glad I'm not the only one "cracking up" then!? :LOL:

They do my head in, i'm sure they get bigger by the day.. :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back