Cracks in Bay window wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys.

We live in a 1930's mid terrace house with curved bay windows both upstairs and down and the front.

Ever since we moved in (2 years ago) we have had cracks in all of the corners where the curve of the bay joins the rest of the house. They do not seem to be getting any worse and there is no other cracks I can see or any damage outside, they just reappear if we fill in and paint etc.

Can anyone tell me if this is normal movement that should be expected with bays (have never lived with them before) or whether there is something more sinister lurking. Don't fancy forking out £350 for a suveyors report. The survey when we bouth the house didn't reveal anything and we have had double glazing put in which bought out nothing on their survey.

If this is normal movement, can anyone suggest the best way of decorating as the cracks are ruining the look of the rooms.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Remove the plaster cracks and check for the cracks in the wall then tell us what you see. Any photo?

Thx Masona

No photo i'm afraid.

When you say remove the plaster cracks do you mean just pull the plaster off ?

Yes, so you can see clearly hoping the brickwall is not cracked as well.

Sponsored Links
OK, assuming the worst and the wall is cracked as well - what does this mean.

If the brick wall have a fine hairline cracks then that's normal. All depends how wide the cracks is and how deep. Is it upstairs and downstairs bay windows? Does the cracks start from the corner? If the cracks go though to the other side and can see daylight then underpinning will be needed which in normally covered by insurance. A bit awkward without seeing it or photo.

Nothing at all oustside at the bottom bay, walls look in perfect condition. If anything on the outside upstairs then it is hairline and is through the tiles as the wall looks fine, but I can't see from ground level.

The cracks run from the window sill straight down to the skirting where the curve of the bay meets the square of the rest of the house. This happens both upstairs and down in all four 'corners' upstairs is more noticiable as there is no wallpaper. Downstairs has wallpaper and this has not torn.

Will see if I can do anything re photo, but won't be today as am at work.

These cracks are quite common in those sort of houses especially after any sort of banging and work has been done.
Most of those 1930s bays were not actually built integral to the main brickwork, but were sat on their own slabs and usually only tied in in a rudimentary way. I would keep an eye on the cracks and not worry too much if they don't get any bigger.The real trouble starts if the slab the bay is sat on starts to subside and the the bay will start falling away from the house.This happened to a friend of mine in a similar aged house in the hot summer a couple of years ago. Ended up taking the bay off recasting a better slab and re building but a two inch crack had opened up over a period of a few months in his case.
I would just keep an eye on it for now.

Thanks Chappers.

The cracks do not appear to get any worse than this, they just reappear no matter what we do.

In terms of bay falling away, presumably I would see something on outside of house ?.

Any ideas on best way to decorate as they obviously don't look that great.

wisey said:
The cracks do not appear to get any worse than this, they just reappear no matter what we do.
It will settle down eventfully, I find Gyproc Easi-Fill is very good or they are some flexible filler available.
Looking at your picture I can assure you that you have nothing to worry about but as chappers says keep an eye on it. My bay window have similar cracks!
The other way is to chop back the plaster 50mm both side then replaster.

1. The masonry panels appear to be leaning out, this is not a mere cosmetic problem.
2. What kind of floor do you have?
3. If suspended floor then the joist tails req. inspection.
4. Exterior: is there a nearby tree or bushes?
5. Are any cracks apparent below the window frame or at the head?
6. Does the frame appear level and plumb? Do all the sashes open?
7. Do any neighbours bays show similar problems?
8. Most bay problems are caused by the timber bessumer beam/lintel degrading.
9. Any leaks or distotion of the bay roof?
10. Stand at the front of your property and eyeball if the heads of all openings are level.
11. If you intend to decorate it would be worth removing plaster to reveal the masonry for examination.

calm down calm down!!! he has minor cracking at the bay/front wall junction that has been the same for 2 years, as I said earlier this is just due to the fact that most of these bays were never properly tied in an every time you open or close a window or move about on the floor, slam the front door etc vibrations cause a bit of cracking of the plasterwork it is even quite possible as the bay has tile hanging that the bay is timber frame, this will vibrate eeven mor an is therefore more likely to cause cracking I would just keep an eye on it and fill the cracks with a flexible filler.

wisey said:
Masona,

Couple of pics for you. Apologies a couple are on their side, took them last night but didn't have time to edit them

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/medwaymanc/Elliot022.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/medwaymanc/Elliot021.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/medwaymanc/Elliot019.jpg
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y35/medwaymanc/Elliot020.jpg

Hope they work and help

They do now ;) Moderator

But if you do have to replaster, then take the chance to change that colour scheme! Blimey.

Only (half) joking - good luck.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back