Cracks in concrete driveway

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have some long cracks in the concrete driveway leading to the detached garage. These have been there for several years but during winteres they seem to be getting slightly worse.
The driveway is the rough concrete (sort of racked effect side to side which helps with grip in the snow) and i'm wanting to fill these cracks in.
I've seen some ready mixed (just add water) solutions which would be great for a novice like me but they're all in the grey colour and i can't find any in the buff concrete colour :(
Do i buy the grey and add sand (if so which sand)? or can i buy the buff (sand colour)?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You won't get a colour match, you won't get the crack to blend in, and you won't even stop it cracking again in the future. So it probably does not matter what you use. But yellow sharp sand and not building sand is required.

Thanks for the reply
Should i use some sealant topped up with sharp sand to bridge the gap as best as possible? i was thinking this would stop large amounts of water settling in the gap during winter and contracting when it freezes causing more damage?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the reply
Should i use some sealant topped up with sharp sand to bridge the gap as best as possible? i was thinking this would stop large amounts of water settling in the gap during winter and contracting when it freezes causing more damage?
I would not worry about that as it is not a significant issue. Water will get in regardless,

A cement slurry can be poured in if you wanted to fill the void, and then for a finish, the crack could be widened at surface to accept the sand/cement finish. But either way, it will be visible. So perhaps just a cement slurry poured in and then brushed off.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back