cracks in concrete window sills

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
House 90 years old with solid walls has concrete sills under windows 230 m.m wide by 100.m.m thick.Several of the sills have cracks(less than 1m.m) extending from the window across the width and part down the depth of the sill,Have tried chiseling out and repointing with various fillers but after a while the cracks appear again.Don!t think that there is any movement of the sills so just need to find the correct method of repair.Can anyone help who has done a similar repair successfully. :(

Sponsored Links
Hi i think i would try chopping out a bit then pouring some liquid cement grout down the cracks and let it sink in then fill it to the top and rub up the face with a stone and water when its gone off i saw a stonemason doing this with some yorkstone cills on a job i was working on a few years ago try it it worked well on that house it was over a100 years old i have been back since and i did not see any more cracks

mick

Thanks for info Mick,will try a weak cement/lime/sand mix when the weather improves

Sponsored Links
1mm cracks....on house that old........I reckon that`s the normal seasonal movement with lime mortar/solid walls ....and Nothing to worry about But You may never get them to stay filled

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back