Cracks in walls on house we're buying. Your opinion?

I remember reading - that you follow the cracks - and they will 'point' to the problem..

It could be a cracked drain beneath a set point in the ground..

it could be the lack of support to chimneys..

your pictures show lots of cracks but no real - directionality!

Sponsored Links
Hi all,

Just a quick update if anyone is interested.

We ended up going ahead with the house and are hopefully picking the keys up on Tuesday next week.

We got a Structural Engineer in on recommendation from my bosses wife and they were excellent and very helpful. They checked all the cracks and confirmed there is no subsidence.

The crack down the middle outside it due to thermal movement and is also nothing to worry about.

Extremely ****ed off with the Surveyor we got originally who was way off on everything and because of that has delayed the whole process.

At least we got there in the end. Thanks for all the replies!

Now all the serious hard work starts!

From the photo's I can't see whats to like about the house, render hides a lot of sins post back in a year or two with an update.

From the photo's I can't see whats to like about the house, render hides a lot of sins post back in a year or two with an update.

Location, Large, 3 bedrooms, Large garage.

A home is what you make it, what looks like crap to one person is anothers gold!

And, i have just posted pictures of cracks, not really much to like there anyway :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Did the SE's supply you with a referenced pics and text report?

Omitting ID names etc. but, when you have time, it would be interesting if you could scan and post that report on here. Not least, it might provide very useful information to others with similar issues in the house buying process? And you would be helping them as you have been helped. It might also explain certain puzzling aspects of the thread that i've noticed?

I assume that the original Surveyor was a mortgage Surveyor? It would also be interesting to read his report. Believe me, this is not idle curiosity putting you to extra, probably worthless work, but an exercise that you might learn a lot from in terms of the maintenance of your new property.

Note: i cant see any "latest" pics?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back