Crap brick, wall plugs, bolts - HELP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm trying to put a satellite dish wall mount up outside. I bought some M8 RawlBolts with metal plugs (or anchors?). A drill bit came with the bolts. The drill bit is bigger than 10mm as it has a 'sticky out bit' at the end which makes the holes bigger.

I problem is that I think the brickwork is poor quality. When I put the anchors in, and screw the bolts in, as soon as the bolt starts to meet resistance the plug turns in the hole and nothing tightens!

About 2 hours and 6 big holes later, I gave up with the RawlBolts and hit B&Q and bought some 10mm Nylon wall plugs that require 6-8mm bolts, and some 8mm bolts. Same thing again, the bolt goes in so far then it stops tightening and simply turns forever. The wallplugs also come out of the wall too easily which makes me think the holes are ending up bigger than they should.

Can anyone advise what to do? Is there a better wallplug I can buy for poor quality brickwork? I've seen some people suggest filling the hole with Gripfill or No-More-Nails, but wouldn't that also fill the metal anchor end too when I put it in the hole?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
The only smaller bit I had was an 8mm. I tried that, but it was too small. The plugs wouldn't even go in. I'll check B&Q for a 9mm next week.

You are either jigging the drill bit about, and so widening the hole, not drilling the hole deep enough or you are not blowing all the dust out of the hole

Once the expansive bolt is in the wall, tighten it a bit and then with something like a flat head screw driver pressed against the shield/plug section, give the bolt a sharp tug, which will then open the wings to grip the wall. Then tighten as normal

It is very hard not to get these expansive plugs not to bite, even with an oversized drill bit

Sponsored Links
Thanks woody.

Are you referring to the metal RawlBolt plug as expansive? Or the Nylon one? Or are they both expansive? Sorry for my newbishness.

Metal plugs are expansive - they have a cone with pulls back into the plug and widens the wings. You said you are using Rawlbolts, which are expansive bolts

Plastic plugs are just wall plugs, although some people call them rawlplugs

Ah, thanks for the advice. To be honest it could be any one of those lol.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say put the flathead screwdriver against the plug and give it a tug?

So I screw the bolt in a bit, then pull it out sharply..a little bit even?

Thanks

when you have a loose hole, or the surface is dusty or crumbly:

make sure the hole is plenty deep enough for the plug or shield and screw or bolt to go all the way in. It is important that the plug or anchor is set into the brickworks and not relying on any plaster or render, and you may need a longer screw or bolt to achieve this.

clean out all the dust thoroughly (I prefer to squirt it out with water and allow to dry)

get some no-more-nails or equivalent (in your case, a waterproof outdoor grade). Put the nozzle deep into the hole so it fills from the back with no air pocket and slowly withdraw the nozzle as you fill it

insert the plug or other fixing deep into the hole so it is sinking into the nomorenails (you can use the screw or bolt as a handle) and smooth off the surface.

leave it to set overnight

the next day, drive your screw or tighten your bolt. The adhesive will prevent the plug or anchor from spinning in the hole, and will transmit the load evenly to the brickwork.

Thanks for the advice.

If I fill the hole with no-more-nails, then put the plug in, will the plug no fill up with the sealant too?

yes but it is soft enough for the screw to penetrate. Remember you can drive a screw into solid wood. It holds the plug firm as there is nowhere for the pressure to go except against the brickwork.

putting a screw into the plug by a few turns to use it as a positioning handle ensures you will later be able to find the hole in the centre of the plug and not go in off-centre

I expect it wopuld work with a rawlbolt anchor as well but I have not had a problem with them. Probably best to bung the end hold in the anchor to stop it getting blocked.

Just get a tube of chem fix and the right threaded rod.
Mark off, drill hole, fill with chem fix.
Add precut threaded rod, 2 hours later fit sat dish.

I'm not sure what you mean when you say put the flathead screwdriver against the plug and give it a tug?

If you put the bolt in and then pull it, then it will just slide back out

So you need to prevent the plug section from coming back out when the pull the bolt, so a screwdriver or suchlike held over the lip of the hole/plug section prevents this.

This then gives it sufficient grp to prevent he hole lot spinning and allows the bolt to be tightened

when you have a loose hole, or the surface is dusty or crumbly:

make sure the hole is plenty deep enough for the plug or shield and screw or bolt to go all the way in. It is important that the plug or anchor is set into the brickworks and not relying on any plaster or render, and you may need a longer screw or bolt to achieve this.

clean out all the dust thoroughly (I prefer to squirt it out with water and allow to dry)

get some no-more-nails or equivalent (in your case, a waterproof outdoor grade). Put the nozzle deep into the hole so it fills from the back with no air pocket and slowly withdraw the nozzle as you fill it

insert the plug or other fixing deep into the hole so it is sinking into the nomorenails (you can use the screw or bolt as a handle) and smooth off the surface.

leave it to set overnight

the next day, drive your screw or tighten your bolt. The adhesive will prevent the plug or anchor from spinning in the hole, and will transmit the load evenly to the brickwork.

i have drilled 4 holes into brickwork. Holes are slightly too big so that when rawlbolt is pushed into back of hole and i start to tighten nut, all that happens is that the whole bolt assembly turns in the hole ie the end of the bolt isnt gripping so the the metal leaves/flanges open out and grip the side of the hole.
I have read one suggestion which is to squirt no-more-nails into the hole, then push in the bolt, allow to dry overnight and then tighten. The no-more-nails has set firm and is holding the end of the bolt so that as it is tightened the flanges open out. Does this work?? and is no-more-nails the best stuff to use??
I am concerned that if it doesnt work, I have a bolt stuck in the hole which i cant get out to try something else. and does no-more-nails dry rock-solid? or is it still a bit flexible when it dries?
any help/views/experience welcome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back