Crazing / peeling paint repair

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've started repainting my living room and kitchen (open plan ish). It's mostly looking pretty good so far but there's an area in the kitchen where I got some crazing and peeling after painting on my new matt emulsion. When I scraped it back it took off my paint plus the layer below, so I think the problem is poor adhesion of the old paint. Looks to me like more old paint underneath rather than bare plaster (it's very white and smooth).

It's smallish bits and only a relatively contained area of a much bigger wall (and largely it of eyeline!), so I'd rather patch than go mad scraping the whole lot of if I can.

My main question is: should I use a primer to seal the flaky bits, and if so which one? (I'm guessing peel stop but it seems to suggest prime / topcoat with alkyd / latex, which isn't what I'm using.)

Thank you
K

Sponsored Links
Peel stop will work, but as its only a small area you could just mix a little PVA with regular paint and stipple it on.

Hi,

I've started repainting my living room and kitchen (open plan ish). It's mostly looking pretty good so far but there's an area in the kitchen where I got some crazing and peeling after painting on my new matt emulsion. When I scraped it back it took off my paint plus the layer below, so I think the problem is poor adhesion of the old paint. Looks to me like more old paint underneath rather than bare plaster (it's very white and smooth).

It's smallish bits and only a relatively contained area of a much bigger wall (and largely it of eyeline!), so I'd rather patch than go mad scraping the whole lot of if I can.

My main question is: should I use a primer to seal the flaky bits, and if so which one? (I'm guessing peel stop but it seems to suggest prime / topcoat with alkyd / latex, which isn't what I'm using.)

Thank you
K

Latex and acrylic are kind of interchangeable terms when talking about emulsions. If you are using a "regular" emulsion it will be latex/acrylic based.

I would advise against mixing PVA in to paint. If you want cheaper options then consider oil based undercoat or SBR. PVA emulsifies when it becomes wet. If you use PVA and apply a second coat over it, the roller may pull off the previous coat.

Try as best as you can to get a stable area to paint, remove the flaking area and sand/smooth fill as necessary. Prime the area with Zinsser 123 Bullseye and paint on top of that.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. I picked up some peel stop last night so I've scraped back the peely bits at least to where it wasn't easily coming off, cleaned, sanded and coated with peel stop and will see how I get on with filling etc!

Glad you're getting somewhere with it. What I often do is use a nice sharp stanley blade and cut around the peeling area, so that I can scrape it off without encouraging non peeling areas to come off with it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back