Creak in House

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't know where to put this, but here goes:

The problem: The front right corner of my house creaks whenever the wind blows; the stronger it blows, the more frequent and the longer the creak lasts. It seems to be coming from the inside of the wall at the corner.

Background: I had the entire house painted this past May, so everything, every opening has been caulked, including around the inside of the window located near the corner. The creak occurred both before and after the painting. I have a hanging chain porch light, but when I hear the creak (both outside and inside, but it's louder inside) I see the chain not moving. There is an electrical line hookup at that corner, along with a cable for cable TV, but I have not seen any movement there either. The outside electrical panels (I have two, side by side) are securely fastened to the wood siding on the outside. Both the panel and the pipe are rigid. The gutter is also tight against the house. Under the house (it's on brick posts), I put a 3/4 inch, 2' by 4' plywood board between the posts near the corner. The porch floor, 4 feet above the ground, is concrete. Attached to the house at the window nearest the corner are two louvered doors, but I have observed them and the creaking occurs both when the doors are open - I keep them immobile - and closed. There is a magnolia tree in front of the house, but no branch is touching the house or roof.

Can you advise me what to do or who to call about this?

Leonard Levine

Sponsored Links
Ghostbusters?

I don't know. Unfortunately I don't think you have the equivalent of a Chartered Building Surveyor in the US. A Building Surveyor is essentially a Doctor for buildings and is able to diagnose most problems.....however, your one might even stump me.

Being in the US I presume we are talking about a timber frame building, in which case the creaking could indicate overstressing of structural timbers or timber connectors. Bear in mind that wind loadings can be much greater than people imagine, simply because the wall of a house is so large.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back