creaking floor boards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the floor boards on my landing/bed rooms creak when you walk on them. I will be lifting carpets and screwing down the boards. would it be any advantage if I laid hard board on top of boards , before I lay the carpet back. thanks.

Sponsored Links
One old fashioned remedy was to sprinkle Powdered "French Chalk" along the joints of the boards.

it was believed that the chalk would work its way down and into the T&G joint and stop the creaking by providing a non clogging so called lubricant between the moving bits of flooring, obviously this type of fix will require the chalk to be placed and then allow the chalk to permeate the joint, unlike grease, chalk will not be clogged by dust and dirt so appears to work well?

On another front be careful you do not put a screw into a central heating pipe, landings tend to have more than their fair share of C/Heating pipes just below the floor boards.

ken

If we're talking traditional boards, I'd just screw them down; you could put a small amount of silicon where they meet the joists, if it's causing noise at such points.

I've not done it myself, but it is often recommended.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back