Creaking floorboards - how to fix

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Numerous plumbing and electical operations have left some of our floor boards rather creaky.

I planned to simply hardboard the floor to level it out but will this stop the creaking? I don't want to replace the floorboards unless I have to.

Sponsored Links
brettjbuckley said:
I planned to simply hardboard the floor to level it out but will this stop the creaking? I don't want to replace the floorboards unless I have to.
Put in extra screws where the creaking is but be careful with pipe/cable unless you have Safeplate. Rubbing in some talcum powder into the joints will also help.

This may sound like a joke, but i read in a diy book that creaking floorboards can be cured by putting talcum powder inbetween the the boards where they rub together. Also screwing them down into the joists will help (but make sure you get a pipe detector first about 10 quid fron B and Q

novicetiler said:
This may sound like a joke, but i read in a diy book that creaking floorboards can be cured by putting talcum powder inbetween the the boards where they rub together.

As long as you don't use very expensice talcum, that's a 'joke' on this forum for a few months now :D :D :D

But you're absolutely right novicetiler.

Sponsored Links
Seconded. Screw the floor down. Depend on the thickness of boards, but I generally use 2" size 8 or 10. I've found in the past using smaller 1 1/2" long screws dont always grip and can work just as loose.
Woody

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back