Creaking roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After several attempts to patch up the roof on my 1906-built terraced house, I had the slate roof replaced with a modern tile form. The roofer left the original roof beams in and tiled over them. The job cost far less than I'd originally estimated I thought it might.

This was about 18 months ago.

Almost straight away, the roof creaked. At first I worried (what if the new tiles were so heavy the roof was going to fall in??) and then I just became a bit intrigued and tired by the noises it makes that sometimes keep me awake.

The roof doesn't look to be sagging anyway, and I don't think it is structurally suspect.

Some nights the roof is silent - sometimes it is very noisy. Cold and/or wet nights are usually the noisiest.

Can anyone advise why the roof might be noisy, and if there are any simple ways to solve the problem?

Sponsored Links
Slate to tile swap means a large increase in weight, usually 2, 3 or even (plains) 4 times heavier.

Who decided that the roof was suitable for a change of tile without any modification? did an S.E. look at it?

No - I just got a roofer out and he did it. My house is a terraced and next door had a similar roof fitted.

No - I just got a roofer out and he did it. My house is a terraced and next door had a similar roof fitted.
Well at least yours and the neighbours will collapse together!

Seriously, the roof will stress under load from additional forces like wind and snow as well as the large increase in dead load from the tiles. I would be inclined to get it checked.

Sponsored Links
If it did not creak before and it creaks now then something needs looking at.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back