Create hole in kitchen unit side for washer waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to create a new hole for my washing machine waste pipe as it currently gets squashed by the built in dishwasher next to it.

In photo attached current pipe goes through hole at the top and you can see is squashed. I need a hole like the lower one to feed the waste pipe through as I cannot feed through the existing lower hole as it is too low.

I think the unit sides are MDF, my question is how best to make another hole like the existing low hole but higher up? I am worried if I drill a hole and try to saw or file it big enough for the hose, it will split the MDF.

I am a total novice as you can tell so any help much appreciated!

Thanks
Ed

Attachments

• CEB029B9-E268-4884-B927-E635FFBB35B2.jpeg
    CEB029B9-E268-4884-B927-E635FFBB35B2.jpeg
    149.4 KB · Views: 1,230
Sponsored Links
When I slide back my built in dishwasher it squashed the waste pipe I can’t cut back the hole at the top as the work surface rests on top of the unit, therefore my solution is to create a new hole like the lower hole on the picture, only a little higher up. I can’t use the existing low hole as the waste will not reach that low as it’s attached to the washer.

I did not install either washer or dishwasher so was unaware previously that the waste pipe was squashed by the dishwasher.

Sponsored Links
In my experience the carcasses are MFC but the doors and end panels are normally MDF.

The OP wants to drill through the carcass rather than the the door.

When using the hole saw be advised that there will be breakout on the other side of the cut. That is to say that one side will look like a clean cut, the other side will look rough. Just bear that in mind when deciding which side of the panel you will drill from.

you can get some improvement if you drill part-way from one side, then finish off from the other using the pilot hole to centre. You do need to hold the drill very steady and upright, but should be good enough to smooth off with sandpaper, and you will not get ugly splintering. You can also put your work on a flat piece of scrap timber and clamp tightly together.

you can get some improvement if you drill part-way from one side, then finish off from the other using the pilot hole to centre. You do need to hold the drill very steady and upright, but should be good enough to smooth off with sandpaper, and you will not get ugly splintering. You can also put your work on a flat piece of scrap timber and clamp tightly together.

Good points. I was however working on the assumption that the OP wont have access to long jaw clamps. I should have mentioned the drilling from both sides though, thanks for the gentle nudge.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back