Creating a 4.8m by 4.8m patio with MOT Type 1 & 40mm slate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I'm looking to do a 4.8m by 4.8m patio area, the ground level slopes off to the left (both concrete slab & earth). I've got about 800kg of earth which I removed from my front garden to use up and I've started using this earth after rotavating the area to try and level up the back garden area by the bifolds, so far I've just used the earth ontop of existing earth and haven't covered the concrete base area nearest the doors.

What i'm planning on doing is using 2 of the 2.4m sleepers per length stacked ontop of each other, so each length would be 4.8m long, and 20cm high which would be lead flat (the brick air vents are about 30cm above current ground height which I intend to be below.) So using 16 sleepers in total, connected via metal plates and corner brackets. Within the sleepers I would have a bit of earth to raise the height to try and level off, and then MOT Type 1 as a sub base (I currently have 2 x bulk bags 850kg), I have a feeling this wont be enough) and then once the area is compacted to lay an inch or 2 of 40mm slate which would have a weed control sheets underneath.

What I would like advice on is the best way to level things off and what to do with the concrete slab, I really don't fancy removing it, so I was wondering if I could use the MOT Type 1 ontop of it and against the house to have the sleepers sit ontop of it and the same with the lower lefthandside, I'm also planning on removing the tree on the left.

My main concerns are not to bring damp problems to the house and for the land not to slide in future moving the sleepers.

Any guidance very appreciated, thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1850.JPG
    IMG_1850.JPG
    381.7 KB · Views: 47
  • thumbnail.jpg
    thumbnail.jpg
    359.5 KB · Views: 34
Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back