Creeking Floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Moved into my brand new house a couple of years ago and within 2 weeks the floorboards were creaking very badly (dam those nail guns). Anyway I got the contractor back to do some remedial work, which I further improved on with many more screws when I decorated two of the bedrooms over the past two weeks.

Well I'm now moving onto the bathroom decorating ( thanks wife) and thats the worst one for creaking. The other rooms I could pick out the nails from the nail gun, but here I cant see any :eek: How can I pick up the joist so I dont damage anything lying underneath like cables or pipework? I'm using 8 x 1 3/4 screws to cure the problem.

Sponsored Links
You could try one of those stud/wiring detectors available from B&Q, Argos etc.

You normally have to calibrate it by adjusting a thumbwheel so it should be ok.

Bear in mind joists normally run the same direction throughout the house and will also be the same distance apart. So an alternative would be to look in the bedroom or landing and measure distance form wall etc to calculate where they would be.

Paul_Thomas said:
You could try one of those stud/wiring detectors available from B&Q, Argos etc.

You normally have to calibrate it by adjusting a thumbwheel so it should be ok.

Bear in mind joists normally run the same direction throughout the house and will also be the same distance apart. So an alternative would be to look in the bedroom or landing and measure distance form wall etc to calculate where they would be.

Yeh I agree with you however, the joists are running a different direction at the back of the house to the front of teh house:( I'm going to have another look at the bathroom floor next week to see if I can see the nail gun nails

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back