Crimp Connections

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I want to join some 2.5 t&e in a conduit. I have gotten some crimp connectors from the local Elec supplier. However, when these are pushed together most of the metal connection is still exposed. What can i use to insulate this? Is PVC tape ok? I was thinking of maybe using heat shrink?

Any suggestions would be appreciated
Cheers

Sponsored Links
Uptomischief said:
, when these are pushed together most of the metal connection is still exposed

it shouldnt be. what are you using to crimp them?

Hi,

I am using a crimping tool... When I was in the Elec Supply store, I asked for insulated butt connectors but was told they are generally not used?? Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but they gave me a 'unisex' connector!

you need insulated crimps. and when you say crimp tool do you mean proper ratchet crimp tool or £0.99 pence crap crimp tool

Sponsored Links
Hi Andrew,

I have a proper rachet crimp tool, and i'll check out the insulated crimps.

Thanks for your help

Uptomischief said:
I have a proper rachet crimp tool, and i'll check out the insulated crimps.

these arent used on non-insulated crimps. do the type you got have 3 positions for crimps, ref blue and yellow?

it sounds like he has used blade and partially insulated blade recepticle crimps

what he should be using is insulated butt crimps (these are crimped to two wires and don't have any plug/unplug bits)

plugwash said:
it sounds like he has used blade and partially insulated blade recepticle crimps)

having re-read his first post, i agree he must of used these.

Uptomischief - if you have you need to use butt type crimps. mainly because they can carry more power and are fully insulated

and because under tension they won't come unplugged

Uptomischief said:
When I was in the Elec Supply store, I asked for insulated butt connectors but was told they are generally not used?? Unfortunately I don't have a picture, but they gave me a 'unisex' connector!
They were seriously misleading you. If plugwash is right in his interpretation of "pushed together" then not only have you got a problem regarding insulation, but you've also got an electrical connection wich cannot carry enough current.

Whether the place you went to did this out of ignorance, or maliciousness I can't say, but in either event they should be ashamed.

The crimps you were after are so generally used that even Screwfix sell them.... http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/cat.jsp?ts=99525&id=101874

sp[ecifically for ones like this

p1732995_l.jpg

http://www.screwfix.com/app/sfd/cat/pro.jsp?ts=00256&id=70554

added picture, and the link does work

He asked for crimp connectors, not splices. So what the shop thought he wanted was bullet connectors:
42722i0.jpg

42724i0.jpg

Not suitable for 230VAC of course, but was the salesman told it was for 230V?

im sure in appropriate situations those are suitable for mains

they aren't any less insulated than butt crimps are

and a lot of mains switches and panel connectors take blade recepticles which are pretty similar

it seems to me that bullet recepticles are always fully insulated wheras blades recepticles are sometimes only partially insulated

of course this is all inside an enclosure you shouldn't be using bullets blades or butts without them being properly enclosed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back