Crimping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! It's a while now that I'm searching for recommendations concerning crimping (domestic). The regulations are not clear (BS 7671, 16th edition).
As an example; if i need to change the socket, so extend an exiting cable to connect to the new socket (old circuit and the cables are too short to able access the back of the socket).

Thanks, Albert

Sponsored Links
you can use cripms, provided they are suitableu rated, and you use a decent crimper (ratchet type v good)

Breezer

I understand that crimps are acceptable on fixed wiring, but back in my days as an auto-electrician, I was taught to only used crimps on stranded cable. Solid conductors tend to fracture.

solid cables will fracture, but then again you dont have sockets zooming at 70mph do you?

I understand and agree with what you say, but once crimped and put back it is very unlikely a cable will need to be moved

Sponsored Links
How fast do they go when you are throwing them at apprentices ?

Why not simply use a 30amp rated Choc-Block to join the cables?

The join will be inside the accessory mounting box, so will be safe.

It's much easier, and no faffing around.

Millennium_Boy said:
Why not simply use a 30amp rated Choc-Block to join the cables?

The join will be inside the accessory mounting box, so will be safe.

It's much easier, and no faffing around.

because the existing cables in a socket are too short, no room for socket if he uses 30a choc bloc

Is there a table in the OSG telling you by how much you should lead when throwing different accessories at apprenticies?

securespark said:
Breezer

I understand that crimps are acceptable on fixed wiring, but back in my days as an auto-electrician, I was taught to only used crimps on stranded cable. Solid conductors tend to fracture.

That's excactly what I said in one of my earlier posts, But everyone knocked it back :(
Crimp terminals are best used on stranded cable, As you can't get a good sound joint on solid core cables ;)

ban-all-sheds said:
Is there a table in the OSG telling you by how much you should lead when throwing different accessories at apprenticies?
About 3' when i was an apprentice toolmaker, thats just under a metre to you "european geezers" ;) :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

paulh53

Yes, agreed. I have seen a couple of crimps and one core just came out with a small tug on the connector.

I also hate the older style terminals on mcbs, and some accessories where you have to put the conductor in on one side of the fixing screw or the other - they are dreadfully fiddly to terminate securely. B4 you all post in, I know how to get round it, but as I said it makes it unnecessarily fiddly & time consuming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back