Cromapol!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks, had excellent answer to my roofing problem from a member, very grateful got the gear and ready to go! However, the boy- only 46, said got a chap is going to do the roof on container/ shelter for you Ma, will be over with him to fix it! Lovely, know where this is going don't you!! Must fix holes and waterproof areas of thin metal so got some Cromapol for a temp. job. Ready to start tomorrow, ****ing down with rain, now wondering how it will fix a couple of larger holes! Temp job mind, till lad gets chap over to repair roof. lol :LOL: Could I use some very small mesh to cover holes, 3 or 4,then Cromapol over it and secure too? Bless our little ones, they need encouragement and teaching!!! Holes from boy testing for rust!:rolleyes: Size of holes approx 1 inc sq, largest. Boy said don't go on roof Ma in case you fall through, using boards 8 X 4, scaffolding ladders and planks! Need shelter for goats, can't wait must secure, darn determined country gel!

You are sweet and knowledgeable folks, your expertiese and advice is much appreciated! Tuck my old boy into bed - the goat! :D Mutton stew for supper then water the dog before bed!

Have voted, 100% + for web site, always a kind person to advise! No one takes the pee when you foul up, can have a good laugh and why not?

Take care folks! Have holes to temp mend tomorrow, will give feed back! Nite!:D

Sponsored Links
I'm afraid I haven't seen your other posts, but for holes in a tin roof have you considered Flashband.......self adhesive foil backed tape, for want of a better word?
Available in various widths it sticks well enough if the surface is dry.
Cromapol or Evercryl is a great sealant - but not for 1" holes!
John :)

Thanks John, will look for the tape is it like gaffer tape?

Have a container which I use as a field shelter, approx 40 x 8 foot , started to get rusty on roof so painted with bitumen. After several years two nail head size hole appeared, son visits and said he would do the roof for me and cleared round the small hole leaving 2 larger ones! Son went home leaving holes, need to use shelter for my goats! Until I can get a permanent solution need to mend the holes. Nice and cosy in the shelter as use straw to line the sides and on the floor. Have 12 dairy goats. Will use heavy duty roofing felt on the roof, stuck down, eventually. Been pouring down with rain so everything is soaking wet, don't expect it will dry out properly till spring.

Much appreciate suggestions and advice, very kind of you to reply, thank you!

Flashband is much heavier and thicker than any tape.....I would say its about 2mm thick, maybe?
Its on a roll, and with the backing removed it has a sticky self adhesive surface. As with everything else, it will work better when things are dry, but even going over the surface with a gas torch or even a hot air gun will do just fine.

Sponsored Links
As burner man said if you are going to use flashband on metal it better to keep the tape warm prior to use and
I would warm the metal around the hole with a blow lamp first to improve bonding, and if you have lots to do
I would consider buying a roll of torch on mineral felt and just cut patches off the roll.

Hello, thanks for the tip, have a blow torch. Getting there with great suggestions from members- very grateful for the time and knowledge! Have some off cuts of torch on mineral felt. Looks like can get a decent job done, which is difficult at this time of the year with the weather! :) Have been offered some pallets, don't know if it's worth using them as a base:?: Would have to secure them well, which would be difficult as very windy here!

Many thanks folks!

Flashband is much heavier and thicker than any tape.....I would say its about 2mm thick, maybe?
Its on a roll, and with the backing removed it has a sticky self adhesive surface. As with everything else, it will work better when things are dry, but even going over the surface with a gas torch or even a hot air gun will do just fine.

Thanks Burnerman/John, that sounds useful stuff! Have a number of little jobs - and big ones to do, worth getting and then all set ready for a couple of fine days - now wonder where I can get them? lol Sure they will come, working south facing so plenty of sun when it's out. Take care and many thanks!

Hi John, the container has wooden flooring except for an area which presumably is where it is lifted. Thinking in terms of it being for the roof, make it stronger and gives an air pocket for insulation, felting to go on top! Had flat pallets, solid type, on there but rotted away now. Wood preserve useless these days!

I see .....completely orthodox then! :D
I think I'd cover the container with a bolted on ply roof, well overhung and then felted on top......of course roofs can be fibreglass these days, at a price.
Good luck with your project, hope Mother Nature is on your side!

Bit late in the day but I have 8 tins of 20kg cromapol for sale left over from a job if anyone interested and can collect Birmingham.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back