Cross bonding of street furnature.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Watch a video about problems with on street EV charging units, and not having same earth as other street furniture.

But who is responsible to ensure say a BT box is same earth system as street light or ilumated sign?

Never really thought about it.

Sponsored Links
Seen some other things on EFIXX 1714342640340.png they seem to think this is an LED bulb, so although I can see the ideas here 1714343025839.pngI fail to see how one would know when there is some buried pipe, cable etc is where it could transmit voltage to a pedestrian, the old idea was that some insulating plate is placed on an earth rod 1714343456566.png and the surrounding area is paved with a material likely to limit the current to within safe limits. And the earth rod is deep enough to mean the route 1714343903562.png put enough distance to make it unlikely there would be any lethal voltages to the pedestrian. With the picture shown 1714343025839.pngone has to consider who is at fault? Should a water or gas pipe outside of the equipotential bonded area be connected to a PME/TN-C-S earthing system? It this not what allows high currents in gas pipes enough to melt the pipes? There should be some insulated block to stop the under street metal work being connected to the PME/TN-C-S earthing system.

However we do talk about risk assessment, and in a street or persons drive way when we have 5 trips a day along the path, the chance of a loss of PEN at same time as people are walking past is low. But on a busy street this risk is going to be far higher, and of course live stock don't wear shoes, except for horses and theirs are made of metal. I have seen the owners of dogs on leads pull them where they clearly don't want to go, wonder if the dog is getting a shock? As humans we do tend to wear non conducting shoes.

And it hardly matters if on street or in drive, the same applies we don't want out pets to get a shock, and we also are not wanting to get one. These 1714345022769.png are little more than conduit boxes, and really don't give much separation between earth rod and pedestrian.

But the problem is not new, my father-in-law fitted an outside socket to maintain the battery in his motor caravan, I pointed out the requirement for TT, and he pointed out that any meter reader could touch the motor caravan and the gas or electric meter stuff with was PME, so to connect the motor caravan to TT could cause more danger than connected to the PME.

But we have had lamps, caravans, and other class I items in the garden for years, and the cases of people being hurt as a result seem small, we do get them
A mum is calling on venues to carry out safety checks this summer after her seven-year-old boy tragically died from electrocution in a pub beer garden. Harvey Tyrrell was electrocuted after he grabbed a metal railing while sitting on a defective garden light in September 2018.
but on the public highway who is responsible for the safety checks?

And how would one do them, or police they are done? Is it just a storm in a tea cup and real danger is so low not worth worrying about, or is it a real danger, should we carry neon screwdrivers to test metal work?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back