Cross bonding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recently a Corgi registered gas man came round my flat to issue a gas safety certificate and said that the pipes from the boiler needed cross bonding. Apparently they need to be earthed back to the main earth point. My question is, that he has not made it clear whether the pipes need to be earthed back to the whole building's earth block (somewhere downstairs outside) or whether going back to the individual flat's meter is enough? The meter itself is also outside so would I need to go back to the meter (or within 600mm) or is it ok to connect at the point the pipes enter the building?

thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
Have a look at your consumer unit (fusebox). Beside it, there may be an earthing block with several biggish earth wires going into it, including one for the gas and one for the water pipe. If it has, you can use that for the boiler too and it is very easy. If there is no earthing block then the connection could be inside the CU, which being full of live electrical items should not be opened up without proper knowledge.

p1421469_l.jpg
p1933376_l.jpg
p1432383_l.jpg

Unlike the gas, water and bathroom bonding, the bonding of the boiler is not an "electrical regulations" but a "gas regulations" thing.

Is it your own flat, or rented (in which case I would have thought landlord's responsibility)

Thanks John. I have actually bought the flat to let out so I am the landlord I guess, trying to make it safe for tenants!
Will check it out when I go to the flat tomorrow

thanks again

Sponsored Links
A main gas bond is required from the point the gas supply enters the dwelling (within 600mm after meter) and for the water within 600mm of the main water valve (inside the flat - after water meter)
These are called main earth bonds.

Supplimentary bonding is required at the combi, all 5 pipes (except blow off-the one that goes outside - not gas)

There is no need to run a main bond to the combi unless the gas supply enters the building there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back