Crumbling brickwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys ive got a few dodgy bricks on my old victorian house. Were close to the sea front so not sure if its salt related but probely just rain and ice over the years. Theres odd ones on the back of the house here and there this is the worst patch. Open To surgestions . ive included a pic as they speak a thousand words lol.

Attachments

• 20160330_171150.jpg
    20160330_171150.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 129
Sponsored Links
Looks like hard cement pointing which can help damage the brickwork. Should be lime in an older house.

Sponsored Links
I bet the gutter had been overflowing which soaked the bricks and then the frost blew the faces off. Helped by the hard pointing and the bricks in question being slightly sub-standard.

Make sure the gutter is sound and replace the blown bricks.

I forgot to add, we have some similar bricks down here. They have a very hard face and a very soft core. If they get soaked the face can get frost blown with ease.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back