Crumbling Grout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All
We had a new bathroom fitted in December last year. Very pleased with it in general, but having huge problems with the floor grouting. It's only a small floor area (4ftx5ft), and we noticed the grout crumbling (but only in certain areas, generally those with the most traffic), around about January. We've just had the tilers back to re-grout the affected areas, but 3 days later it's all starting to crumble again. The floor seems to be rigid enough, and I can't detect any tile movement. When you tap the tiles you don't get a hollow sound, everything sounds quite firm.

Total floor area tiled is 4ftx5ft, affected area is generally in the middle of the floor, around 2ftx2ft.
Original floor is timber floorboards. These were very sound and had no discernible flex.
We used No More Ply backer board as per manufacturers spec, screwed down correctly and staggered. There is underfloor heating, this is laid and secured on top of the No More Ply. A self levelling screed was also used.
Flexible tile adhesive and Unibond flexible grout .

What to do?

Many thanks
Alex

Sponsored Links
Richards answer was spot on for you mate, both parts

or

it is possible that there is slight movement in the floor around your traffic area, just enough to force the grout away from the edges of the tiles BUT i would be more inclined to go with Richards answer

Try a flexible additive in your grout as this tends to give more flexion than actual powdered flexi grout.

Sponsored Links
thanks for all your replies folks

i have been looking at the bal range of grouts which appear to be quite highly thought of.
looking at the microcolour range with admix GT1 additive or is it worth using something like easypoxy?
it is quite possible that there is a wee bit of flex in the central area of the floor that is pushing the grout out slightly, but I would have thought that a decent flexible grout replacement would be designed for situations like this.
grout lines look around 4mm and the flexible grout replacement would need to be in grey. Any further suggestions welcome.

Cheers
Alex

Hi guys
Any recommendations on a good flexible floor grout available in grey? Is Bal OK? Traditional grout or epoxy?
Many thanks
Alex

I use this extensively but on well supported floors;
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/microflex-wide-joint
take note of JCT’s post & your admission of “slight flex”; if there is more than discernable flex, it could still give problems, even with the adhesive eventually.

Easypoxy is primarily designed for use in hygiene situations, kitchens/hospitals etc. where an impervious waterproof finish is required, I’m unsure if I will tollerate any additional flex; Superflex might serve you better.
http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/superflex-wide-joint

Thanks Richard
I think I will give the Bal Superflex Wide Joint a go as this seems to be the best match for what I need. If the problems re-occur then we'll have to look at re-laying, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it.
Cheers
Alex

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back