Crumbling Mortar Joints

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've moved into a new property and noticed a problem in the loft on the chimney breast.

I noticed that the mortar joints in the brickwork seem to be crumbling, very 'sandy', and soft - you can gouge a hole with your finger!

The house is 1930's. The chimney is no longer in use.

Is it just a case of re-pointing or something more serious? Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
This is very common in flues of that age. Raking out and repointing will be fine. It may be worth checking the condition of the stack on the roof.

Unused flues should be capped and vented top and bottom.

If you do that you'll get damp on the chimney breasts.

Thanks for the replies - I'm relieved it's not uncommon.

I'm going to do attempt the re-pointing myself.

How deep do I need to go when I'm raking out?

Sponsored Links
Why would you want to repoint in your loft?

Consider, if you did not rub it with your finger, it would not crumble

Why would you want to repoint in your loft?

Consider, if you did not rub it with your finger, it would not crumble

The fact that there is the weight of a 5ft chimney on top of this crumbling, soft mortar worries me a little.

If it's not necessary then I won't do it. Just thought if it wasn't repaired it could cause me an issue in the future.

you don`t need to repoint it - you could parge it though :idea: with a cement /lime mortar - that`s rough rendering , and would have been around @ the time the house was built - you could scratch 1930 in the render and then chuck some soot at it -no one will know it`s not original then ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back