Crumbling sound in walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

We moved into a 1960's town house with double storey extension (of which the ground floor is a garage) a year ago. recently we have been hearing many creaks and more worryingly we hear crumbling sounds in the wall that used to be the end of terrace wall (but now has the extension on it).

Does anyone have any idea what could cause this? I am paranoid that the house is going to fall down on us! Could this be a sign of subsidence? There are no external cracks in the brickwork.

Many thanks in advance for responses.

Kim

Sponsored Links
Run for your lives...get out quick. Only joking....sorry.

Are you sure you haven't got birds or mice/rats in your cavity oooeerr.

It does happen.

Give us more info as to when you hear this noise. ie, is it when it rains ? Is it early morning ? Late at night ? How long does it go on for ?

Have you been up in loft and had a scout round ?

Haha, I went as white as a ghost when I read that first line!

Thank you so much for taking the time to post a reply.

As awful as mice would be, I would actually be relieved if that was the cause. I have only noticed the sound at night or morning time, but then I don't tend to be in much during the day. Never considered that mice could be the issue as I have not heard any scurrying or scratching. It just sounds like bits of the wall are crumbling. The sound is not continuous either, it literally lasts as long as it would take to drop something. It also isnt that frequent. I first heard it a couple of months back, and days/weeks can go by without hearing anything. But when I do I think the house is crumbling away! It has been more frequent lately however.

I'll get some mouse traps into the garage and see if they catch anything.

Do you think i can stop worrying that something more sinister is going on?

I think you'll find it is thermal movement when the house heats and cools. Nothing more sinister than that.

Sponsored Links
Have you had a scout round ?
better get a Sea Cadet marching band - that`ll scare the critters out the cavities :mrgreen: -- You won`t get a scout round nowadays , Bob a Job week is long gone .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back