CSU Cabling

There is one 30 amp feed to the kitchen for the oven with no return.
No return? :confused: If you mean it is a radial circuit and not a ring then that is fine and would usually be expected. I hope your electrician will be testing all circuits before connecting the new CU as required. This will highlight problems with the install.

To be honest, I am thinking the rewiring route isn't such a bad solution, since it will identify any other bodges that have been made.
While the lighting circuit may well require a rewire if there is no earth continuity throughout, this does not mean your whole house requires rewiring. As stated above the electrician will test the existing circuits and this will allow their existing condition to be known.

OOI, I believe it fairly rare for a spark to ask a customer to buy the CU for them to install. Most sparks shy away from this because with the best will in the world, the customer doesn't really know what MCB/RCD arrangement would be required and why. Also, you quite often find that the customer in a bid to save money has bought something horrifically inappropriate from ebay or somewhere! Nothing worse than turning up at a job and finding that you've got to install some tat. ;)

Is your electrician registered here? They should be...

Sponsored Links
What is a "CSU"? :?:

Don't know why, but MK and Wylex seem to abbreviate their [C]onsumer nits to CSU in the product description on various sites. Have no idea what the S might be, but just wanted to be anal about the description.

Where, OOI?

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...-GBGB302GB302&q=csu+site:www.mkelectric.co.uk

http://www.google.co.uk/search?sour...n-GBGB302GB302&q=csu+site:www.electrium.co.uk

t2295491.jpg

t2295492.jpg

t2295493.jpg

t2295494.jpg

To top it off, you get a lovely tingling sensation if you touch metal parts on the hob and dishwasher together, so I assume some kind of short is occurring that forms a circuit between the dishwasher and hob earth terminals. Nice!

Erm, no. That will be because one of them has an internal fault causing the casing to become live, but also is not earthed properly thus there is no fault current to blow the fuse.

This is serious s**t and will kill you or a family member if you don't get it fixed ASAP. Why on earth are you continuing to use appliances that give you electric shocks? :eek: :eek: :eek: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Don't worry, it's all been switched off now. Awaiting the electrical work so I can install my new kitchen.

Sponsored Links
That is not an MK site.

That is not a Wylex site.

That is not an MK catalogue.

That is not a Wylex catalogue.

It's Screwfix, and if you would be remarkably foolish to simply assume that anything they put up must be correct.

That is not an MK site.

That is not a Wylex site.

That is not an MK catalogue.

That is not a Wylex catalogue.

It's Screwfix, and if you would be remarkably foolish to simply assume that anything they put up must be correct.

Are you an unemployed electrician? You seem to have a lot of time on your hands, more concerned with ensuring that people are grammatically correct rather than offering any help. There is a word that describes you, perhaps you know the exact acronym for it?

You said "MK and Wylex seem to abbreviate their [C]onsumer nits to CSU in the product description on various sites" - all I did was to ask you where, as I was curious.

Don't get agitated with me because it turns out that you were wrong.

You said "MK and Wylex seem to abbreviate their [C]onsumer nits to CSU in the product description on various sites" - all I did was to ask you where, as I was curious.

Don't get agitated with me because it turns out that you were wrong.

I am not agitated in the slightest, just bemused that you find it imperative that I be explicit about the naming of a CU or where I discovered the acronym CSU, despite what I am referring to being quite clear.

Yes I was wrong as to no end you have proved and don't dispute it, but to be honest, I wasn't really concerned with the name or where I saw it; instead rather more concerned with getting an answer to my question and moving on with my project. Thankfully, nobody else was really that concerned with the fact that I don't know my a*se from my elbow with electrical naming conventions, thus were helpful in their reply.

I said I was curious, not concerned - do you not understand the difference between those 2 words?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back