CU height

Sponsored Links
Will building control make me put it at that height? It will seem funny at a
that height in a kitchen, near incoming supply?

If you have the incoming supply, meter and CU in a cluster, you can put a door over them to match your kitchen decoration or cabinets.

It's best to have the cabinet very small so that people are not tempted to stack tins or cornflakes on and around the electrical items.

You can also use a lift-off cabinet so that, when necessary, access is good for maintenance.

It is best to allow ventilation at top and bottom if it fits close to the wall.

Sponsored Links
I think on reflection that is on new build, so much will depend where your existing cables can comfortably be accommodated.

Not sure I buy the argument that a disabled person needs to be able to reach it.

Having switches and sockets that they can reach, yeah ok, thats normal use. But fiddling with protective devices is maintainance in my mind, as is replacing lamps and removing dust from extraction fans (and no one is suggesting we put those things at 450-1200 :) )

Anyway if you find yourself going into the DB more than once in a blue moon there is perhaps something wrong with the design

Anyway, DB should be out the way of kids, otehrwise if they are anything like I was when I was knee high to a grasshopper then they'll be switching something off every 5 mins :LOL:

JohnD said:
It's best to have the cabinet very small so that people are not tempted to stack tins or cornflakes on and around the electrical items.

In reality it doesn't work like that, what happens is people put torches and hand tools in there instead! At least in our house they do!

Ask them, and then you know for certain that he isn't going to throw a hissy fit and make you move it after you have cut off all the wiring too short

Have a look in most new houses, they're located in the hallway just under the ceiling.
I don't think there's a standard height which is set in stone otherwise wouldn't building control intervene? I certainly think so.

AFAIK Disabled access stuff (B.R. Part M) only applies to new build. Otherwise house refurbs would need wide doors on downstairs WC, ramps up etc etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back